From Marine to Planted

Discussion in 'Journals' started by Reidy, 18 Jun 2013.

1. Reidy

Reidy Member

OK so today i underwent the 1st stages of the change, i have emptied my tank and had a real good clean out this took nearly 4 hours lol, all algae etc has been removed. After this i have broken down my canister filter (fluval 405), removed all media and carbon etc and all compartments are now currently soaking overnight waiting for another clean tomorrow.

I have also been out and purchased some really nice pieces of dragon stone, so another clean tomorrow and ill nip out and get some substrate and then i will look at setting up a hard scape pictures will follow soon........​

stemag, foxfish and George Farmer like this.
  2. Reidy

Reidy Member

quick update i am heading to green machine north wales in the morning to get my substrate and sand, i will start playing with my design which has changed about 5 times a day for the last month, think i have finally settled on an idea now though so watch this space......

foxfish and malawistu like this.
  3. Reidy

Reidy Member

Ok been green machine and got my gravel and some more rock have scaped one side of my tank will do a pic when I have done both in the next day or two.

4. Ben22

Ben22 Member

Photos photos photos

5. Reidy

Reidy Member

6. Reidy

Reidy Member

empty tank

7. Reidy

Reidy Member

8. Reidy

Reidy Member

mmm some teaser photos before this weekend

9. Reidy

Reidy Member

ok so here is the hard scape...
    zr9m.jpg

Gill likes this.
  10. Reidy

Reidy Member

so tell me what you guys think and also any suggestions on carpeting plants to suit the scale, im going for a mountain region type thing

11. stemag

stemag Member

lookin good

12. ~firefly~

~firefly~ Guest

Looks really good, I like that rock, although if I was being picky I would say the line on the right was a little regimented. I don't think that will be as apparent once it's planted up though.

Are you going to keep the marine background or switch to black?

13. Reidy

Reidy Member

Yeah I was thinking the right rocks will look nice when planted around, I'm thinking of leaving the marine blue background think it will contrast well with all the green, only time will tell on that score ;)

14. ~firefly~

~firefly~ Guest

What plants were you thinking about going with?

15. Reidy

Reidy Member

so far im going with

hc cuba

staurogyne repens

maybe some hairgrass

and finally a taller plant for the back (havent decided what yet)
    and some moss for the stones (havent decided what yet)
    any suggestions are great!

~firefly~ likes this.
  16. Reidy

Reidy Member

bits and bobs all here now , solenoid diffuser etc etc pick up my co2 bottle tomorrow, and then hopefully will be planting it on thursday, good times :)

17. Reidy

Reidy Member

picked up my co2 bottle today, staurogyne repens and HC cuba ordered from aqua essentials should be here thu and will be planted then..... its all starting to come together!

18. Reidy

Reidy Member

uqea.jpg
    ok so not the best pic but you can see the lay out there, will be replacing inlet and outlet with glass lily pipes probably in 3 weeks at payday :)
    As far as flow goes the pump in there at the moment is on loan from stemag, so am deciding wether to get the same pump maybe buy his and attach a spraybar or to just put a powerhead over the top of my co2 diffuser

19. ~firefly~

~firefly~ Guest

Looks good!

Reidy likes this.
  20. Reidy

Reidy Member

cheers im well happy with it as its my 1st ever planted setup, just hope the carpet comes off like i have envisioned it now lol