• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

from marines to plants

jeff61

Seedling
Hi after 10 yrs in marines ending up with a large system we moved house and downsized and decided to go planted but knowing how one moves up in tank sizes I am looking at a 1500 x 600 x 600 and nearing retirement I have plenty of time

Sounds a fabulous project but if you've limited to none experience with planted tanks, I'd strongly encourage a starter tank of 60cm x 45cm x 35 - 45cm (high) - this size of tank is a nice footprint to scape & could be used later as a quarantine or hospital tank (or naughty tank ;) ) but it's small enough to practise your plant skills without spending loads

Hi welcome to to ukaps
if you can keep a successful reef then planted tank is no problem. To keep it simple start with easy plants and then when you get the hang of it you can always add harder plants later on.

There loads of videos on youtube on how to aquascape or aquascape a low tech. George farmers has video on how to set up a easy planted tank.

That size tank would cost alot to set up so i would use Tropica Plant Growth Substrate cap with gravel and get some nice redmore or spider wood with lots of big plants for the background

Hope it all goes well for you. Good luck

Cheers
Ryan

Back