• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

From scratch.. pretty much

So.. what are we? 6 weeks in?

2722565901_c164ae0a38_o.jpg

Made a few changes as you can see, with more coming.

The LA in the corner furthest from the camera is struggling, no clue why. Also, the Cabomba is also struggling, mostly due to my Denison barb using it as a salad bar!! Its coming out in a few days to be replaced.. pics to follow once established.

Dosing 3xEI at the moment.. which is making a lovely difference, particularly to the glosso which is now taking off again after suffering a little bit of GSA, but cured that by increasing phosphate.

Im still playing with a few species to see what does best, hence it looks quite bitty still.

JAmesM said:
Yeah, that's looking sweet, Matt :)

cheers :) its getting there.. you wouldnt think with 2300lph Id have flow troubles! but with such a wide tank its not as easy as I thought.. the H. Polysperma in the middle blocks current madly.

Hopefully using a spraybar with no end on it will help move nutrients into that end better.. Id like a T piece ideally so I could have 2 outlets, one at each end, but I cant find anything for the silly sized FX5 hosing.

Hmms.. as Im writing this Im wondering if I might move the Hygro to the left hand end, leaving the middle section free'd.. might experiment.

I think that would work... spread it out a bit more too... HP grows like mad in my tank and I'm forever cutting it back.. from just a couple of stems I've enough to cover the whole back wall in just a couple of months :D

JAmesM said:
I think that would work... spread it out a bit more too... HP grows like mad in my tank and I'm forever cutting it back.. from just a couple of stems I've enough to cover the whole back wall in just a couple of months :D

I cut that one back by half every week pretty much.. Im only using it as a weed for the time being to provide biomass.. as things settle in Ill replace it with other species.

Looking good Matt, was wondering how the tank was doing and was going to post something asking about it, you beat me to it lol shame the LA is struggling, strange as it thrives in my tank, make sure you get enough CO2 flowing into it. Keep us posted :)

aaronnorth said:
couldnt you move the outlet behind the Hygro so it is in the centre?

I would do, but its so damn big it would blow everything out of the ground.. so i place it in a corner, and use the length of the tank to reduce the flow.

LondonDragon said:
Looking good Matt, was wondering how the tank was doing and was going to post something asking about it, you beat me to it lol shame the LA is struggling, strange as it thrives in my tank, make sure you get enough CO2 flowing into it. Keep us posted :)

I think its just more a flow issue.. Ive just moved the flippin great Hygro to the other end, and put the LA in the middle.. Itll be interesting to see if that solves it. As for CO2, I have a yellow drop checker so Im up as far as I can go :) so I know thats fine.

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
Dosing 3xEI at the moment.. which is making a lovely difference, particularly to the glosso which is now taking off again after suffering a little bit of GSA, but cured that by increasing phosphate.
How long will you keep up the 3x dosing Matt?

JAmesM said:
Matt Holbrook-Bull said:

perminantly. :)

I have pretty high light, so that seems to be its level... I tend to just watch the plants and respond to them if theyre showing signs.. the H. Polysperma is my main barometer, it goes very red if starving.

Matt Holbrook-Bull said:
JAmesM said:
Matt Holbrook-Bull said:

perminantly. :)

I have pretty high light, so that seems to be its level... I tend to just watch the plants and respond to them if theyre showing signs.. the H. Polysperma is my main barometer, it goes very red if starving.
Brilliant! I never knew that, thanks mate :D

I assumed it was doing well if turning red :lol: I guess I'll up my dosing again too...

Back