• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fry & Holiday

jameson_uk

I have a Sterbai Cory fry in a 2l hang on breeder box that must be about 5/6 weeks old now.

I am off on a city break which seems to extended from three to six days. I have no issues leaving the tank and inhabitants for that long but not sure about the fry. I am currently still feeding them LiquiFry with the odd crumb of sinking tablet but not sure they can go that long?

The two people I would normally ask to pop in are both away at the same time. Do you think they will be OK for that period of time (there is a flow of water from the main tank into the breeder box and there is also an air stone in there) or do I need to see if I can get the in-laws around to stick a drop of LiquiFry in?

Nice, fry :) No experience with cories, hang-on tanks of liquifry, so don’t know if this is of any help...I used one of those Grässlin Rondomatic autofeeders for my then 4-week old CPD fry when away for a weekend. You can use it with really tiny amounts of any kind of (dry) food.

Are they too small to go in the tank? I've put mine at 3 weeks in the tank with the adults and they did fine, finding their own food, providing you don't have some other large fish to go at them? The breeder boxes are not ideal, especially if you are not around.

Edit, I overlooked its one little cory. Same advice though. My first cory eggs attempt produced was just one cory fry. At 3 weeks it went into the main tank but I had just adult corydoras, platies and a pleco in there at the time.

Hi all,
Do you think they will be OK for that period of time
Agree with @sciencefiction I'd release it into the main tank, unless you have any obvious carnivorous fish. The other sterbai won't eat it. The fry should be onto more substantial food items by now anyway, so it should be able to find food in the tank.

cheers Darrel

Are they too small to go in the tank? I've put mine at 3 weeks in the tank with the adults and they did fine, finding their own food, providing you don't have some other large fish to go at them?
Good question. I am now questioning when it actually hatched, I know it was more than three weeks ago but I am now questioning whether it was as much as six. Anyway a really bad photo attempting to show its size.

MVIMG_20190214_174151.jpeg

I am going for about 7mm. Some occupants don't worry me, otos, nerites and black neon tetras but a little concerned about the adult Corys and more so the two guppies and 10 large amanos in there.

Breeder boxes are not ideal, especially if you are not around.
This is basically an air powered HOB without any media so means I had a flow of fresh tank water. Seems ok (much better than the in tank thing where they all swam out the bottom ...)

I am going for about 7mm. Some occupants don't worry me, otos, nerites and black neon tetras but a little concerned about the adult Corys and more so the two guppies and 10 large amanos in there.

I don't really see any threat myself from those that you mentioned. Guppy, otos, adult corys didn't touch my cory fry. At 3 weeks they're too big for them. Adult corys never intentionally chase their fry anyway. Mine didn't even eat tiny shrimplets. They do eat their own eggs though. I think they prefer static targets. I don't know about tetras. I haven't kept them. My point is, that the fry would have more chance finding food in a larger area such as the tank. I don't know if they'd make it 6 days with no food in a breeder box.. They may, they may not. Its a risk putting them in the tank too but from my experience they stand a better chance there.

Seems ok (much better than the in tank thing where they all swam out the bottom ...)

I had a breeder box that had tiny holes at the bottom. One day I walk in and my clown loaches literally sucked up all my cory fry bar 2 or 3. Lesson learned:rolleyes:

I had a breeder box that had tiny holes at the bottom. One day I walk in and my clown loaches literally sucked up all my cory fry bar 2 or 3. Lesson learned:rolleyes:
The first batch of eggs I put in one of those and the fry swam out those holes and were never seen again... This one is external and no way for anything to easily get in or out except water.

448934691115c7d6f29ddb90d99cfda3.jpg

Think I'll pop him in the main tank tomorrow then

Back