• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FTP site.....

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi guys, i need to set up an FTP site for my studio, any ideas on what to use, preferably free and must work on a mac.

Cheers folks.

Dan

Dan Crawford said:
Thanks for the quick reply pal, that looks way confusing! i'm just going through it all now.
Cheers.
If it was Windows I would give you much easier solutions ;) OSX! tst tst :p

If it were windows i'm sure i'd have chucked it across the studio in the first day, full of viruses with it's unstable, shameless OSX rip off software firmly stomped into the ground :lol:

I've just read through it and man it seems hard work, surely there is a program that you just install, upload files to and download them at the other end, is all this binary whats it and syntax woop woop the only way?

Cheers

Dan Crawford said:
If it were windows i'm sure i'd have chucked it across the studio in the first day, full of viruses with it's unstable, shameless OSX rip off software firmly stomped into the ground :lol:
Never had a virus on my computer, never crashed :p depends what you do with it and which AV software you have :p

Try this one, should have a nice GUI interface ;)

http://www.crossftp.com/crossftpserver.htm

Dan Crawford said:
That looks good, cheers for that pal!
Anytime, just not sure how sucure that one is, the other had a good review as its based on Linux ftpd.

Feeling adventurous? i'd have to be more than adventurous to atempt something like that!
My usual line is "I ain't no computer wizz, i just make things look good"
Thanks anyway pal :D

aaronnorth said:
i thought you told me windows were crap lol
Depends which windows you talking about! If you mention Vista to me I will most likely shoot you :lol: :lol: :lol: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Cheers bugs, i'll check it out.
Basically, clients want to send me artwork sometimes up to 300mb but generally it's around 30mb. I suppose each client needs a suername and password. Thats it really, any thoughts?

I see. Dropbox works more the other way round, allowing you to share out rather than in (to the best of my knowledge). I know some people who do this stuff a lot - I'll pose the question and see what they come up with...

EDIT: Thinking aloud... How about your creating a separate Flickr (or similar account) for each client? You decide on the name and password and give it them.

I've not used it myself but IE can be used as an FTP client. Assuming your clients have Internet Explorer then you could set up password protected folders per client in some web space and then give then instructions for using Internet Explorer to FTP, along with their username and password for their folder.

I believe, once connected, IE works via drag and drop so should be simple.

FTP is still the ideal solution for what you need, just create a folder for each client and then assign a user to each folder and then in their own time they can upload stuff in there, they can even continue upload a previous file if it fails half way through. There are a few free FTP clients on the web too which you can recommend ;)

Back