• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fujifilm Finepix S5800 - buying an SLR camera

aaronnorth

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fujifilm-FinePi ... =de_a_smtd

I have been looking at some SLR camera's and i found the fuji s5800, everything looks ok to me and as though it would be ideal for taking some decent pictures of my fish, and other close ups. Is there any other cameras that you think i should consider buying? (similar price tag).

Thanks.

It's not an SLR camera, it's a superzoom camera, but it's about the best value for money you can get for that price, it's a very good camera.

Aaron, I have the S9600, and like it a lot. Be aware though, that Fuji bridge cameras (S5800 etc) can suffer from "purple fringing" on images with light backgrounds/dark subjects, or vice versa. Seems to be a lens issue & is well documented if you google; but don't let that put you off buying it.

I guess that there are dozens of cameras in the price range you are looking at (though I doubt if you will find an SLR for £100) - and you will probably get dozens of different recommendations.

It's a bit of a minefield - good luck

Rob33 said:
Aaron, I have the S9600, and like it a lot. Be aware though, that Fuji bridge cameras (S5800 etc) can suffer from "purple fringing" on images with light backgrounds/dark subjects, or vice versa. Seems to be a lens issue & is well documented if you google; but don't let that put you off buying it.

I guess that there are dozens of cameras in the price range you are looking at (though I doubt if you will find an SLR for £100) - and you will probably get dozens of different recommendations.

It's a bit of a minefield - good luck

Hi Rob, i have heard of the purple fringing, i might try to find some pictures taken by the camera and see if any examples are given.
There is the next model up (Fujifilm S1000FD) which is slightly dearer but i havent had a closer look at that model yet....

Thanks.

okay, after looking at a couple of photo's produced by the fuji s5800 i am satisfied with the quality, and if i am totally honest i dont think i would of seen much of the purple fringing, although on a couple of pics it is clearly there, and looking through some flicker ccounts the image quality is very good IMO. Also this website gives a great write up with some example shots using different modes (click test shots next to image quality)

http://www.cameras.co.uk/reviews/fuji-finepix-s5800.cfm

the Kodak didnt seem as advanced so that is out up to yet.

I've got the S5700 which some say is slightly better than the newer S5800. I wouldn't change it for the world right now. Its a great camera for the price, and the results are fab.

JAmesM said:
I've got the S5700 which some say is slightly better than the newer S5800. I wouldn't change it for the world right now. Its a great camera for the price, and the results are fab.

I think some of your photo's are great, i have found the s5800 for £83!

I have just compared it with the s1000fd? and for my needs the s5800 is better, but i will look at the s5700 first, thanks for your input.

JAmesM said:
The S5800 uses the same sensor as the S5700, and because of the extra 1 million pixel, pictures tend to look a little more blurred from the S5800.

Thanks.

EDIT: found it at the same price anyway :)

EDIT 2: Just looked at your journal & your thread concerning the s5700 and it has convinced me that this is the camera to buy, it has a good colour representation and an excellent macro.

What settings do you tend to use? or do you just play around with them?

aaronnorth said:

Be careful if using fully auto - the Fuji has a crude from of image stabilisation, in that it increases the ISO setting to give a faster shutter speed & thus reduce camera shake. A general rule for these cameras seem to be not to shoot above 800 ISO (some would say not above 400 ISO) because images get noisy.

I usually shoot on manual.

Rob33 said:
aaronnorth said:

Be careful if using fully auto - the Fuji has a crude from of image stabilisation, in that it increases the ISO setting to give a faster shutter speed & thus reduce camera shake. A general rule for these cameras seem to be not to shoot above 800 ISO (some would say not above 400 ISO) because images get noisy.

I usually shoot on manual.

Thanks for the tip, i am going to down to comet shortly to pick one up, cant wait and my journal will probably have a burst of images :lol:

EDIT: Ordered one in for Tuesday :)

aaronnorth said:
Thanks for the tip, i am going to down to comet shortly to pick one up, cant wait and my journal will probably have a burst of images :lol:

And a couple of sets of rechargeable batteries, I hope :D

Rob33 said:
aaronnorth said:

And a couple of sets of rechargeable batteries, I hope :D

yes i ordered 4 x 2700amh uniross rechargeables and an 1Gb xD memory card :D

Back