• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

fungus with DSM

Sorry it didn’t work out for you but thanks for trying and sharing your experiences for the benefit of others
I'd nothing to lose and it's a widespread thing in gardening so thought it could work.
The whole DSM is a learning curve for me; one which I think is going on the backburner for now!

Hi all,
I'd nothing to lose and it's a widespread thing in gardening so thought it could work.
I wouldn't worry about the fungus, it will disappear eventually. You might get different ones grow when the tank is flooded, but again it won't last long.

I think the reason the cinnamon didn't work is probably because the fungal hyphae are in the woody tissue, and the obvious fungi you can see is just the fruiting body. The cinnamon might inhibit the growth of fungal hyphae, if it was in contact with it, but it isn't, the hyphae is ramifying through the wood.

The good news is that the fungi that are capable of degrading the lignin in heart wood belong to the Basidiomycota (bracket fungi, mushrooms and toadstools) and your fungi definitely isn't from that family.

You often get a flush of fungi when you re-wet dry wood, I assume that they are feeding on any remaining sugars from residual sap etc. and they will die off when that is exhausted.

cheers Darrel

I wouldn't worry about the fungus, it will disappear eventually.
It is now a bit too late; I have dug the wood out, cleaned it off and re-buried it. It was starting to spread onto the tops of surrounding plants. :mad:
I'm sure I will still got some fungus with the tank full. I just need to hope the tank fills okay now.

does appear to look very wet IMO
When I first got the soil wet it had only had just enough water to wet it all through when I was looking at the sides; of course the water table is going to seep to a level so I was quite careful to wet the higher areas first.
I don't think it was as wet as it looks in the photos but the wood would have gotten wet regardless and I would have eventually had problems.
I've filled the tank now anyway so I now need to hope it holds shape and fungus isn't too much of an issue.

Back