• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fussy so and so’s

I've installed half a dozen shrimp in my tank to help with cleanup. They’re doing an excellent job of cleaning the bogwood but don’t much like green algae for some reason. The bogwood’s going to be pretty clean soon so I thought I best offer them something else. I bought some Algae wafers from the LFS and placed then in a shallow glass container and they haven’t touched it. Several of them had a sniff but then wandered off without eating anything. Are there any particular foods shrimp like?

They’re already eating algae :rolleyes:
offer some blood worm and brine shrimp and then you may just see the ravening horde :p

(I’ve never had then sniff and walk, but then I’ve also never tried feeding them more algae :D)

There are shrimp specific foods such as Hikari Shrimp Cuisine, but having seen my own Amanos running off to hide when they have come across a piece of algae water so they can consume it without competition, it sounds like yours are getting enough food to satisfy their needs at present...

What type of shrimp are they. A lot of shrimp don't really eat algae and prefer to graze on the biofilm. My amanos are the biggest bullies in my community tank and will steal the sinking wafers meant for the Cory's rather than eating that much algae. My cherry shrimp won't touch filamentous green algae at all.

I’ve got a few Amano’s and a few cherries. Funnily enough I saw a yellow cherry munching on some green filamentous algae this evening, hope he continues!

Thanks for the tip Steve. I put half a boiled pea in the tank and within seconds one of the Amanos had picked it up and walked off with it. A few seconds later and they were fighting over it so I put another half in.

Back