• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

fx5 or 2078

Alzak,
Which Rena 4ft cabinet? I have the Aqualife 350 tank and cabinet, I think there are two versions of the cabinet, one has 2 doors, mine has 3 doors. This may decide for you.

I have measured my cabinet door to be approx 35cm wide. I would want a few cm space for fingers so call it 33cm wide.

The FX5 is 53x37x39 (hxwxd) the Classic 2260 is 50x37x37, the Eheim 2280 58x33x33 and the Eheim 2078 is 54x27x27.
This would limit you to just the 2078.

Rob

as a dedicated Eheim user I would never touch an fx5, heard too many horror stories about them.

I only trust what works. I don't like the newer Eheims with their pointless electronics etc. .

A canister filter should be designed like the following:

1) inlet at the bottom
2) outlet at the top
3) high quality pump to run it

any other fancy stuff or silly buckets/chambers would put me off.

I would recommend Eheim 2260 without hesitation if you want a large fast filter. I don't care for the 2078 or 2080, just extraneous rubbish that they put on to go with the times.

If you want more flow out of a 2260 you can always change the pump and/or make a remote hose connection arrangement, you have to take it apart to do this, but it can be done and that's one of the nice things about them. I'm in the process of moving a 2260 to filter a 270 litre tank, will make a vast improvement from the 2 x 2217 that were running.

The other thing when talking about flow rate is that Eheim judge what they see fit as regards flow rate/canister volume ratio. They probably could make faster flows for the canisters but it's a change that they're unwilling to do since it would have manufacturing implications.

As far as value for money and reliability goes the 2260 is it. Period.

One reason the FX5 is noisy is specifically because of it's higher flowrate. It's difficult to design a quiet, high capacity filter. I understand that, but when I see this electronic trickery on the new filters it tells me they have decided that it's easier to turn the filter into a gadget showcase instead of spending resources on solving the more difficult problem of filter throughput.

The fx5 is not noisy because of high flow rate. It's noisy because it uses a lower quality motor, coupled with the demands to run at a higher flow rate.

Flow rate is not a difficult problem at all. Deltec HLP pumps are monsters when it comes to flow rate, you can attach one to a 2260 canister and you'll have something very fast and dead quiet, the only problem is cost.

From the looks of it Eheim does not feel the need to increase their filter's output to keep up with user's expectation and/or what our practices are now (remember these filters have been around for a long time, and hence we're made to spec according to old fashioned ways of thinking). "filter throughput" is not a difficult problem, convincing Eheim to address it IS.

Hi

I have to buy a big filter this week help me to choose which one

eheim 2078
eheim 2260
fluval fx5

the best will be a 2260 I know that is small problem with cleaning it want to buy good filter which last me for long with big outflow to help me with poor circulation in my tank
at the moment I use xp3 but the outflow is very poor as i do not know how old is it

From the other hand nobody have any problems with a new range eheim 2078 there is few more parts which can broke on some part of they lives but by end of a day is a eheim so quality

2260 best price on web is 179 and 2078 189 not big difference

how about outflow from 2260 when is full of media ?

the question here is maintenance, the 2078 is easier to maintain, but it only has 8 litre filter capacity (with 0.6 litres for the prefilter)

I won't be running my 2260 like most people, I will feed it via its own prefilter arrangement which means that the whole canister is NEVER touched at all, so will be filled with biological media only. If I had to continually open up my canister every week it would drive me up the wall!!!

The 2260 has stronger flow, and has 18 litres filter capacity. The latter alone should seal the deal for you.

You CANNOT ask for flow rate with media since that is an absurd question. All pump performance are measured with no resistance and at zero head. Over time things clog in the canister resulting in increased resistance. What you can say is that the 2260 has a stronger pump so it can maintain it's flow rate better than the 2078 (assuming of course same pump/impeller design etc. . ).

PM me if you want to know about my prefilter arrangements, I just don't want to give it out publicly.

Back