• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

GA in-store display 120P Iwagumi - Fly above the giant cliff

Re: GA in-store display 120P Iwagumi - Fly above the giant c

Sonnyarba said:
Amazing Viktor! :wave:

Cheers my friend Thank you :thumbup:

James Marshall said:
Wow, that's some seriously healthy HC Viktor :thumbup:
For it to look that lush and green just 2 days after pruning is truly amazing.

Cheers,
james

Hey James, for some reason at the last 2 trimmings i could not even trim lower the carpet. It's so dense i can't trim better without damage the carpet. So just trimming the upper part of it and keeping it green.

Vito said:
Still amazing Viktor, good to see no yellow patches after triming, is that because you didnt trim as much or have you maintained a thinner layer of HC now as apposed to the thicker one your had at this tanks earlier stages?

hey Vito, thanks for your feedback. Yup we only trim the upper part of it. Taking care to not trim into the dense part of it. This way the carpet looks awesome after the trimming and we have a nice green carpet for 3-4 weeks til the next trimming.

viper3770 said:
wow! that looks absolutely stunning Viktor - well done. :thumbup:

Thank you ;) :angelic:

I had the honor to see this aquarium. Live. My dear, my words are not enough to express my feelings, it's amazing!

viktorlantos said:
Cheers guys. Thanks for all of your feedback. :clap: :thumbup:

2 days ago i trimmed the carpet. For some reason the full trimming and netting took only 1.5 hours compare to the earlier 4hrs average speed. :D

Maybe trim a little and often, rather than all at once and a lot?

Nice patina on the rock. (I actually like that).

The tank is about 9 months now. I've seen that in many places this started to lift off from the soil. Still looks ok however the large bubbles are filled with air now. :D Rescape coming shortly...

6285296473_5594a05336_b.jpg
Green Aqua - Showroom by viktorlantos, on Flickr

6285815196_2231ce5fd6_b.jpg
Green Aqua - Showroom by viktorlantos, on Flickr

Boiling HC :)
Looks pretty good. Any ideas what will be the next scape?

I bet you can make loads of money with all that HC. Guaranteed emersed growth, pesticides free, will make 5 inch carpets all day :D

Fluffy tank there mate, pity it's coming to an end ... waiting to see the next beautiful creation. :)

Mike

That must be the healthiest HC in the world!

I look forward to your next creation too.

One question - I know you post on UKAPS as a hobbyist, but I am very interested to hear how you feel about aquascaping since you have been running your shop. Has it enhanced your passion for aquascaping, or does it detract?

I am trying to convince my wife that we should go on holiday to Hungary so we can see you guys next year... ;)

Woah! Never seen HC like that before. Stick a hole in somewhere and I'll get my putter out.

George Farmer said:
One question - I know you post on UKAPS as a hobbyist, but I am very interested to hear how you feel about aquascaping since you have been running your shop. Has it enhanced your passion for aquascaping, or does it detract?

I am trying to convince my wife that we should go on holiday to Hungary so we can see you guys next year... ;)
Why George? :D If he says he just hates all this since we opened for business then you're not gonna step foot into the Gallery not to scare your loved ones away from all this? :D
Who wants to see a mad Hungarian behind his desk? :D

Pls allow me to share my perspective: it's just getting bedda. ;)

schraptor said:
Boiling HC :)
Looks pretty good. Any ideas what will be the next scape?

Cheers my friend, do not know yet. But something very different. Probably a woody scape? ;)

flygja said:
I bet you can make loads of money with all that HC. Guaranteed emersed growth, pesticides free, will make 5 inch carpets all day :D

:D I thought i will lay it down to be as a doormat. How cool would be that? Nowhere else in the world. Welcome to the plant space stranger, we even have HC on doormat. ;)

clonitza said:
Fluffy tank there mate, pity it's coming to an end ... waiting to see the next beautiful creation. :)
Mike

Thank you mate. I am glad we had success with this. This scape was a good test. Not only on plants, but to have a very minimal setup on a longer term. This might be boring at home after a while, but with many other tanks people really loved this one when they visited our showroom. It was a visitor magnet really ;)

George Farmer said:
That must be the healthiest HC in the world!
I look forward to your next creation too.

Cheers George. :thumbup: Thank you :angelic: When it was in the top form i thought that too, this become one of the best HC field around this time. There were lot of factors and some luck that it turned out to be good, but we really loved this tank. I am glad that i had a chance to share it with you guys.

On the question... it's a good one actually ;)
Running a shop like this gives many other tasks to do, not only to work with these scapes. And business is not easy sometimes especially when you're a pioneer in an area in your country, the economy is not good etc... Need lot of energy to promote the hobby and sometimes not have enough to work on the scaping side.

But the passion enhanced for sure. Meeting many nice people, talking with them, having great relationship with international friends, try out many new things and running multiple tanks which teach you 10x more things than you would do at home.... This side is really nice and fun. So i am not burn out yet, actually just started a new tank at home :D

Hobby is really nice. Forums are superb places, but the shop gives you the chance to meet with your friends every day and spend some nice time with them, seeing their progress etc. Meeting many new people and shows them the beauty side of this hobby. :D

George, you're always warmly welcome when you're around. Hungary is a nice place to visit even for a weekend. Your wife would love that :D

I have never seen an HC carpet this healthy anyplace else on the planet. Cheers to you! :clap:

cheers guys :D

this week we had a sad moment on this scape as the HC lifted off from the soil. there was a sign of this before and it lasted 9 months still, but was a sad moment.

i did not had a good camera in hand, but i captured it with my phone

378955_10150378449453470_648468469_8336376_1042350863_n.jpg

it looked weird and awesome too. i could imagine a scape like this by the way :D

the HC is removed yesterday, and we will start with a woody scape in the next few days.

34.jpg

we kept the soil in and just washed this out a bit. added in 9 liter fresh Amazonia and the tank was crystal clear by today. will open up a new journal to the new tank shortly.

thanks for all of your nice comments, feedbacks. it was a honor to share it with you guys. :thumbup: :wave:

Attachments

• 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 173
  • 34.jpg
    34.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 186

love that last shot Viktor. A great end to a great scape...you know these scapes people link pics back too and say 'this is what i want my tank to look like', well this is quite clearly one of those tanks.

ianho said:
love that last shot Viktor. A great end to a great scape...you know these scapes people link pics back too and say 'this is what i want my tank to look like', well this is quite clearly one of those tanks.

Thank you for your kind words and support ;)

It was a diamond in our shop. Funny, sometimes these scapes are boring and too minimalistic but this was so close to me. This was the first time when i get closer to a specific plant. I felt weird when i removed the carpet this week. A real heartache.

We usually dismantle these tanks when plants overgrown or we burned out by them. But removing a thick super healthy carpet touch my heart really.

When i removed the full carpet there was clearly visible what caused the issue. The bottom root structure died off fully. So the carpet just floated above the soil a while ago.

Maybe we could keep this longer if we keep the water cool all the time - the winter and the heating caused some issues on our side. But if i trim the carpet super thin and not keep skirt shape on the rocks, if i use less amano shrimp (they drilled real holes under the carpet after a time) or snail eater shrimps might last longer... who knows

I still believe these small root plants like HC, Utricularia etc is not for a long term. They will float because you can't cool the water all the time, or not trim it the way it needed (sometimes looks better if you keep longer intervals between the trimming), not use the right soils etc. But a nice achievment to have a super healthy carpet from these spec plants. So i wish everyone the feeling to keep a carpet like this once in a lifetime. :D

A spectacular ending to an amazing tank, with heart and soul pouring out all while it happens. I can imagine it was a dramatic ending, but birth to something better to come. Well done, I envy this scape and your and passion.

Can only agree to what has already been said. Followed this scape from the beginning and it cleary stands out in my memory as a bright star on the sky.
Also I'm very much looking forward to the next scape, as how it will work with reused aquasoil. I'm planning on using it the same way in a temporary scape and reuse it next summer. And then I'm looking so much forward to seeing a woody scape in a tank that size. I'm hungry for inspiration, and I know you guys can deliver :D You always do.

Ehh, an end to a nice journey.
Hei you should have trimmed the roots and taken a proper picture. Another new stanning scape done :D
Lookin forward to a new one. :thumbup:

Hi Viktor

Congratulations on a beautiful tank and a great journal too - sad to see it end, though all good things must (or so they say) ! For me this is one of the best tanks of the year, and goes to show that simple can be stunning.

This tank has inspired me to try an HC only Iwagumi, infact the rocks are done, and 25 pots of HC are arriving today, so as one ends, another begins, though I can only hope that it will be half as good as this one was.

Look forward to seeing your next creation, and perhaps I might come to see it in the flesh too ;)

Thanks

Tony

Nice rug, and I think you are quite correct, such a tank is a tough choice for home aquarist, but it has a strong visual pull. So the trade off with the store is it allowed you to leave it be and not be tempted to add more to it, just leave it be.
Glad to see the tank come to this point and not be taken down prior.

You might try Monte Carlo next time, the rooting is super strong and will not pull up, makes trimming less problematic.

Victor, the UG/HC temp issue: when the temp goes up, the growth rates also go up, so you need to add more CO2 and ferts, otherwise plants autofragment. O2 also goes down when the temps go up.
We have large temp swings where I live, so I learned this a while ago. This happens with most all plants. I had this happen with Gloss in a large client tank. The maintenance people turned the heater up to about 30C from 27C.
You can catch this issue some with changing the CO2 etc, and with more aggressive mowing of the plants, down to the nub and keeping it/the lawn, well mowed, but that takes more work.
UG? I tend to replant rather than mowing it. This is mostly due to selling it. I rarely mow it, but HC/Gloss, get serious mows.

Once a single species tank fills in nicely, there' a strong urge to see how long it'll go without trimming, that was it's undoing. Temp changes certainly exacerbated it.
Done this a few times now.

Good looking tank at the end there.

Back