• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Garden Plant ID's. Post here!

Steve Smith

Post your garden plant ID requests here! Thought it would be good to keep them separate from aquatic plant chat :)

So, I'll start. Can anyone ID this plant that I have in the garden? It looks a lot like some sort of Hydrocotyle but I don't recall what it actually is. If memory serves, I think it has blue flowers in summer.

I'd like to know what it is, and if I can try it out in a tank :) Also, I'm unsure about propagation, as the stems look different to other hydrocotyles I've seen... I perhaps should of taken a better photo, but it seems to have a thicker stem down low, and all the foliage seems to come from the same general location, unlike other hydrocotyles which spread via nodes or whatever...

Anyway, a pic:

8719019972_770e5c6443_c.jpg
Untitled by Casa-Steve, on Flickr

Seems to have a bit of a variagated look to it, which I don't remember it having (it's growing at the top of the garden under some trees and out of the way).

Hi all,
Steve it is a Campanula, either C. portenschlagiana or C. poscharskyana, and probably the latter. They both like quite dry ground (C. portenschlagiana is the bright purple flowered bell flower on walls etc that is flowering at the moment).

I like them both, but C. poscharskyana is a famously rampant grower.

cheers Darrel

Excellent, thanks for that Darrel. I had a feeling it wasn't Hydrocotyle, but it really has that look. I'm thinking of transplanting it to a pot as it's been in this spot for about 5 years and that's as big as it's managed to get. I'll have a read around propagation etc.

That's sort of appropriate, as I'm currently about 4 miles away from Kenilworth. Thanks again Darrel. As always, you are the fountain of knowledge :)

I wonder if I could get it to grow in a wabi-kusa or something. I suspect it likes dry conditions if it tends to favour growing on walls.

I might pinch a bit and plant it next to the campanula (which I've figured out is portenschlagiana judging by the flowers)

Can anyone help me identify this plant,it's a broad leaved perennial which we grew for a landscape contract years ago when I worked for a nursery.
I've forgotten the name and it's driving me nuts :banghead:
9110978820_977339985c_c.jpg

Hi all,​
Boraginaceae family???
It is a "Borage" relative, it is Trachystemon orientalis, and it is "very good ground cover", so don't plant it anywhere too near smaller plants. The Geranium is G. phaeum, another good plant for a shady spot, G. phaeum "Sambor" is a good cultivar and G. phaeum also comes in white and mauve flowered forms. Usually here the Trachystemon would have finished flowering well before the Geranium came out.​
The bottom one looks like Lonicera nitida 'Baggesen's Gold'.
Does, the Lilac is an unusual one, Syringa x laciniata. PerryHill Nurseries sell it <Syringa | Perryhill Nurseries>

cheers Darrel

I'm looking for some plant ID's please. Don't know if I've posted images or just a row of icons :-/ Feedback would be much appreciated thanks.

3FT
DSCF1897.JPG
DSCF1898.JPG
DSCF1899.JPG

Oh dear. I don't use flickr or imageshack so tried sharing from dropbox - didn't think it worked. Thanks for letting me know.

Does anybody know what this might be? The tall one.. Never seen it before in my garden, it came with the wind landed between the Mint. :)
JFtnHoU.jpg

Caper Spurge (Euphorbia lathyris).

It often comes up in strange places when the ground is turned over, so I assume it has a very persistent seed bank. Away from gardens you get in some woods, so it is assumed to be a UK native.

I like it, but you need to be careful of the sap on your skin, and don't eat the fruit (it looks like a caper, but is poisonous).

Cheers Darrel

Oh!! Yes thanks a lot Darrel!! You're faster than my pocket guide. Now i've found the Dutch name (Wolfsmelk) - Wolfsmilk) and they are well known trough the ages as a wichcraft herb i red about that with awe as a kid years ago, never noticed a life one before. Awesome to have it in my yard. :)

Back