• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Garra flavatra dying

It's the glass effect. He is in fact very skinny compared to all remaining ones. He doesn't look healthy. But it's the only one with that characteristic. All others that died were normally sized.
I’d probably recommend worming them then.

I'll blow the dust off the test kit and do a test later on this afternoon.
Only a dip strip so read what you will into the result. Picture taken within 10 seconds of dipping. Maybe had a slight tint of green when I initially pulled it out of tank 🤔
20220225_165159.jpg

Probably explains why I stopped testing the water, lol. I'm guessing somewhere between 0 and 1???

Only a dip strip so read what you will into the result. Picture taken within 10 seconds of dipping. Maybe had a slight tint of green when I initially pulled it out of tank 🤔
Probably explains why I stopped testing the water, lol. I'm guessing somewhere between 0 and 1???
Interesting. If that's the case then maybe the KH is not the issue.

Hi @Hanuman

I used to keep a pair of Panda Garras about a couple of years ago. Pretty much overnight, they were suddenly very unwell. Their bodies darkened significantly and they seemed to be paralyzed. The only water parameter that caused me some concern was potassium that, if memory serves me well, was around the 90 ppm mark. One other possibility is that they had eaten a tiny amount of Cyano that I later discovered. I will never know for sure what caused their sudden demise.

JPC

@Hanuman your question MDs water not sure except it's soft everthing in his studio is low tech but he grows virtually most plants well ,due to the CO2 his water provides . Very low level of water column fertilizing.

if memory serves me well, was around the 90 ppm mark. One other possibility is that they had eaten a tiny amount of Cyano that I later discovered.
My K is at around 15ppm so it is certainly not that reason in my case. Cyano could indeed be another possibility. I know I have some but not visible most of the time. It usually starts appearing in some spots when temperature increases here, around March/April. I usually do treatments twice a year but who knows maybe they found some.

Here is a short clip I made this morning. You can see the skinny boy acting strangely.

What does this mean? You mean deworming? What product would you recommend? I have some General Cure from API. Should that work? I have no quarantaine tank so I guess I will have to treat the whole tank.
I don’t think we can get general cure in the uk and is something I’ve never used so can’t really comment although as it has praziquantel in it I’d assume it would work. I use something with flubendazole in it as I feel it’s not too harsh on the fish.

My K is at around 15ppm so it is certainly not that reason in my case. Cyano could indeed be another possibility. I know I have some but not visible most of the time. It usually starts appearing in some spots when temperature increases here, around March/April. I usually do treatments twice a year but who knows maybe they found some.

Here is a short clip I made this morning. You can see the skinny boy acting strangely.

I’d definitely treat for parasites and go fro there, certainly something not right.

I don’t think we can get general cure in the uk and is something I’ve never used so can’t really comment although as it has praziquantel in it I’d assume it would work. I use something with flubendazole in it as I feel it’s not too harsh on the fish.
It's the only one I have on hand right now so I treated the tank an hour ago. Let's see how that goes.

Here is the update.

I predict all will die. Lost two more. Only 3 left now. I treated the tank with General cure two weeks ago and I see no improvement whatsoever. One by one they exhibit the same behavior at some point. This is very disconcerting. Wondering if it could be an oxygenation problem. These fish stay most of the time at the bottom. Perhaps it's a specie that requires oxygenation beyond what most other fish require? But honestly I have hard time beleiving that. The tank has lots of surface agitation + chihiros electro bubble gagdet + skimmer + 2nd intank pump + plants producing oxygen in abundance during the day. I am at odds here.

Last edited:
The larger Fluval U series internal filters have a setting for bottom output sending the flow all across the substrate if you could borrow one or purchase one worth a try see how the fish respond

Here is the update.

I predict all will die. Lost two more. Only 3 left now. I treated the tank with General cure two weeks ago and I see no improvement whatsoever. One by one they exhibit the same behavior at some point. This is very disconcerting. Wondering if it could be an oxygenation problem. These fish stay most of the time at the bottom. Perhaps it's a specie that requires oxygenation beyond what most other fish require? But honestly I have hard time beleiving that. The tank has lots of surface agitation + chihiros electro bubble gagdet + skimmer + 2nd intank pump + plants producing oxygen in abundance during the day. I am at odds here.
It’s very strange, when I had them they were extremely hardy. Even though they’re riverine fish I didn’t keep them under heavy flow/oxygenated conditions and had CO2.

The fish in your previous photos look fine so it is a strange one.

I meant your initial pictures, they appear to be chunky healthy little fish at first.
Indeed. They look good.

The larger Fluval U series internal filters have a setting for bottom output sending the flow all across the substrate if you could borrow one or purchase one worth a try see how the fish respond
No Fluval filters where I live unfortunately. I tried repositioning the in-tank pump to direct surface water to the bottom since yesterday. Let's see.

Would you guys recommend I do a second round of treatment? I read and saw here and there that General Cure treatement needs to be carried out 2-3 weeks after the initial treatment.

Hey there @Hanuman. Michelle here from the states. I came across your post, as my panda garra suddenly seems to be going downhill quick. I was unaware, but I dosed my tank 2 days in a row with potassium. I guess it could be potassium poisoning, but tetra's, and otos seem to be fine. I have had him for roughly a year, happens to be my favorite little guy in the tank (fully planted rainbow tank, with one tetra and a couple otos and the panda) my plants were not growing so great, so my local fish store told me to dose potassium for 2 days. I'm just wondering if you have any idea what happened to yours? Sorry to hear about the loss of your other ones. Never a good feeling. Thanks for any input, Michelle.

Hi Michelle, and welcome!. :)
It could just be coincidence that your Garra got sick just after you dosed with potassium, which should be safe.
I'm assuming the potassium was in the form of an aquarium product and you followed the instructions. :)
I would suggest some large water changes; they help with most problems (and if the potassium was the cause, it will be diluted by the changes).
If you would like to start a thread with the symptoms your Garra is showing, and details of your tank (with photos if possible) some-one can probably offer some advice.
Likewise with your plants not doing well, give us lots of details and we can help.

Back