• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gas escaping, is this normal?

Freakyshrimp

Seedling
Is it normal for some C02 gas to escape from the 500g bottles whilst screwing on the pressure reducer. I've just switched from the Hydor green NRG with the small 74g bottles to the advanced version which allows connection to 500g disposable bottles, 74g disposable bottles and rechargeable bottles with the use of different adaptors. The instructions say to slowly screw on the pressure reducer until the second guage reads 60-70 bar. I start screwing it down and chicken out when I can feel gas escaping onto my hand and hear it hissing. Should I just carry on screwing it down and hope it stops when fully down or is there something wrong?
P.S You might think I'm being a big girls blouse but hey I am a girl :lol:

Yes, carry on screwing! (oooh, Matron!)

Seriously, you do need to screw it all the way on.If you're particularly worried about it, make sure neither the bottom of the bottle nor the top of the regulator are facing you (or your collection of rare teapots).

Look at the instructions for your regulator, to see if there should be a rubber seal in it, and if there should be, make sure it is present.

Good luck!!!

Mark

Just to be safe (as C02 can be cold when exhausting/decompressing) put some gloves on! ;)

Caffine & Nicotine, don't calm nerves, But I still try it, 20+ times a day :lol: :lol: 8)

Well coffee and ciggie didn't do the trick :oops: I tried again but couldn't bring myself to do it. Have put it away and am trying to forget that it even exists :lol: Have just stuck another small cannister on the old Hydor which is bubbling away merrily.

Hangs head in shame :(

:(

Oh well. Not got any mates who have done this before near you?

You're right not to do anything you think is dangerous - just a shame that we can't really tell if what's happening to you is normal or a fault with the kit. Maybe someone else can help a bit more?

M

vauxhallmark said:
:(

You're right not to do anything you think is dangerous - just a shame that we can't really tell if what's happening to you is normal or a fault with the kit. Maybe someone else can help a bit more?

M

It's normal, tighten another couple of turns and the hissing will stop. I have changed lots of these over the years and they all do this, its simply down to the way the valve is designed.

slowly? I spin my bottle to do it much quicker. It stops when it gets close to tight enough and then I slowly screw it a further turn or so (not too much otherwise the thread can pull off.

The hiss is much the same as taking the foot pump off the car wheel. a quick release whilst the vlave is open before being closed again. not a hiss. Its more of a pssst for me. lol

AC

Back