• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gassed Neons?

Kristoph91

My DIY CO2 went haywire last night, I think I added too much yeast. :oops:
Usually I can leave it on at night no problem and the fish will be fine.
But I bought two neons yesterday - and woke up this morning to find them gasping and being blown around the tank, seemingly unconscious ?
I disconnected the CO2 supply, and placed my filter above the water to try and reoxygenate it.
They are still breathing and wiggling.

Think they'll make it ? :( :(

KrisHumphreys1991 said:
My DIY CO2 went haywire last night, I think I added too much yeast. :oops:
Usually I can leave it on at night no problem and the fish will be fine.
But I bought two neons yesterday - and woke up this morning to find them gasping and being blown around the tank, seemingly unconscious ?
I disconnected the CO2 supply, and placed my filter above the water to try and reoxygenate it.
They are still breathing and wiggling.

Think they'll make it ? :( :(

Hi there,
youve done the right thing disconnecting the c02 and raising the filter to oxygenate.
Id also suggest a 50% water change to ensure no other water quality issues.
Hopefully theyll pull through if it is c02 related.
If the c02 is running continuously, newly purchased fish will need drip acclimating in the bag for a good few hours to get used to the higher c02 levels.
Hope they make it.
Ady.

I must be the worst then Hinch :D

Ady34 thanks for the heads up mate, did the water change etc.. But they're just both "stuck" in the moss breathing. Very. Slowly.
:(

Kris

Hi
Your neon's haven't acclimatised to the lower Oxygen levels in your tank.
I would do another water change ...asap.
I don't think its your Co2 set up going haywire. Neon's are very sensitive to higher Oxygen to lower Oxygen transfers usually when Co2 is being utilised/used.
Remember if you purchase fish from a aquatic store there is very little Co2 in the water column most of it is gassed off.
So be careful when purchasing all stock from local fish stores even if you have switched off your Co2.
hoggie

hogan53 said:
Remember if you purchase fish from a aquatic store there is very little Co2 in the water column most of it is gassed off.
So be careful when purchasing all stock from local fish stores even if you have switched off your Co2.
hoggie
This part is very true.

hogan53 said:
Hi
Your neon's haven't acclimatised to the lower Oxygen levels in your tank.
I would do another water change ...asap.
I don't think its your Co2 set up going haywire. Neon's are very sensitive to higher Oxygen to lower Oxygen transfers usually when Co2 is being utilised/used.
This part is completely untrue. CO2 dissolved in the water has no effect on Oxygen dissolved in water. I think you're confusing this with the way that a CO2 fire extinguisher works against fire in air. This does not happen with dissolved gasses in water. Think about it this way; if you dissolve a teaspoon of sugar in a cup of water and then dissolve a teaspoon of salt, both the salt and the sugar are dissolved side by side. The salt does not displace the sugar and the sugar does not displace the salt. Similarly, gasses dissolved in water do not displace each other.

The toxicity of CO2 has nothing to do with any lack of Oxygen. In fact, in a planted tank, if you are adding CO2 the plants will produce more Oxygen, not less, so there is more available Oxygen in the water as a result of CO2, and that's one reason why an injected planted tank is healthier than an un-planted tank. This advantage is partially offset by the toxicity of CO2 however. The mechanism of CO2 toxicity in fish is called "hypercapnia". It is a serious misconception to think that a CO2 injected planted tank has less Oxygen than an non-injected tank and this thinking can lead to more trouble. Please review details in the thread not enough oxygen...

Cheers,

Thanks for the wisdom Ceg4048.
Will definitely give that thread a thorough read.

Thanks,
Kris.

Sadly these two little guys passed away today. They were wriggling around quite well yesterday, seemed like they had some sort of brain damage though.. But this morning no movement at all.
Sad, but thats going to teach me a lesson.

Kris.

Back