• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gassed the fish :(((

Harry H

Came home, had dinner, played football with little one, but did not check the tank... I was putting him bed, wife started shouting from downstairs "your fish is dying!". Ran downstairs and saw the drop checker yellow, and I knew. I changed the CO2 bottle last night, and fiddled with the main valve, I was sticky for some reason, I turned it up to get the bubble count up. When I looked in the he cabinet, the bubble counter was just streaming. Turned CO2 off and instant did water change as much as I can. The aftermath is 5 green neons, 3 Otto, 1 red-eye tetra (he was the last one left from original stocking, the others all jumped) and my Dwarf gourami dead.

I am so annoyed with myself.

Does anybody know if I can get my CO2 regulator serviced? Its CO2Art.

IMG_20190731_200230.jpg

:eek::eek::eek: sorry to hear your loss m8 :arghh::arghh::arghh:

Is your working pressure normally so high

upload_2019-7-31_20-23-22.png

50PSI sounds a bit high, my single (non adjustable ) working pressure is just over 20PSI, my duel stage(adjustable) pressure has been running at 50PSI in the past but that was with lots/months of tuning. You say you fiddled with the main valve you may have just turned up the working pressure in error which would account for the streaming bubble counter.

Sounds more like a user error than a reg that needs service IMO. I would turn it down to 20PSI when its back on tomorrow and small steps tweeking it back up to see how it goes, keeping a close eye on the tank at the time. If I couldnt keep an eye on it, I would turn CO2 and lights off cover the tank up till you have time at weekend- a few days backout will do no harm ;)

No, usually not that high. What happened was after I changed the bottle, and turned on the CO2, the needle did not came up. Then I turned the valve up, it did not, then turned all the way off, then back on again, it started moving, I did set it up like that about 30 as the inline diffuser recommend, and did not play with the bubble count, it seemed fine.

I think you are right, probably my fault, not sure how else to check after changing the bottle. When needle did not come up, my instant reaction was to fiddle. :banghead:

If you increase the working PSI the injection rate increases even if you dont change the needle valve. On my 500l tank I dont change the needle valve I just increase/decrease the working pressure as needed to increase/decrease CO2 injection rate.

Oh mate really sorry to hear you lost fish
Your not the first or the last to have this kinda accident I guess it's a learning curve you wont forget in a hurry
Cheers
Jay

You are lucky that you caught it early and only lost a few fish. I had my entire fish stock wiped out when a new cylinder dumped 10 lb of CO2 during my two weeks vacation. The mistake I made was that I replaced with a new cylinder before my vacation, but didn't spend enough time to observe stablization of the bps before leaving. I learned my lesson and hopefully it was the one and only mistake I ever made.

The fish stock I lost was heavy, and some fish were not replaceable. The house smelled stinky fish soup, and I had a messy job to clean up dead fish and heavy algae infestation. On a comfort note, I had not lost a single plant and restoration of precondition was complete in few weeks.

Back