• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Gassing Snails

squiggley

Are snails affected by high co2 levels similar to fish.

Just noticed that when I put the spraybar back in after cleaning it the other day that it wasn't agitating the surface and the drop checker is bright yellow. Thankfully there are no fish in there yet.

But the snails are making their way up the tank and gathering around the water surface.

Hi,
Yes snails are affected by the CO2 level. I often use this to control snail populations. Very effective. 8)

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Hi,
Yes snails are affected by the CO2 level. I often use this to control snail populations. Very effective. 8)

Cheers,

Thats what thought

My first disaster which was when the whole tank dumped killed off all my fish and shrimp. I thought it had killed off all the MTS snails too!!! However a little while into emptying carcasses into a bucket I noticed that there were 'dead' snails climbing the bucket walls.

Much higher resistance to CO2 IME than fish.

AC

I start of all my tanks with sky high CO2 and a handful of pest snails. I have yet to kill off a single one. They really are tough little buggers. respect! 8)

Dave.

When i over dosed with Flourish Excel a while back, killing 90 % of my fish, all the shrimp were fine, but the nuisance MTS where climbing to he highest points they could find, wether it was rock, glass or plant.

Of course i picked them out, and through them in the bin. :D

Back