• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Genuinely aquatic plants

I thought it might be interesting to create a list of plant species that are fully adapted to underwater growth and can only survive underwater... partly because I wanted to test if they would be easiest to grow plants...

My list is quite short! Can anyone think of anything I'm missing?

Vallis
"Stems" like: Certophyllum, Egeria... (would we classify these as stem plants? Do they not have roots, is this the difference?)
Nymphaea?
Floating plants... that's a debate I don't want to start!...

Hi all,
I thought it might be interesting to create a list of plant species that are fully adapted to underwater growth and can only survive underwater... partly because I wanted to test if they would be easiest to grow plants..
There are a <"couple of"> threads <"on this">.

They aren't all the <"easiest plants to grow">, some of them are adapted to very soft water and, particularly for floating plants, may require very high light levels, eg <"Cabomba furcata"> and <"Ludwigia sedioides">.

cheers Darrel

Here is a complete list.. :)

https://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/

Look at the right hand bottom corner.. There you can filter on "Can be grown Emersed" Choose "No" and hit go.. :thumbup:

Quick copy:

CAN BE EMERSED - No
ordered by Alphabetical Sort By:

Aponogeton boivinianus

Aponogeton crispus

Aponogeton madagascariensis

Azolla caroliniana

Barclaya longifolia

Blyxa alternifolia

Blyxa aubertii

Blyxa japonica

Cabomba caroliniana

Cabomba caroliniana 'Silver-Green'

Cabomba furcata

Cabomba palaeformis

Ceratophyllum demersum

Crinum calamistratum

Egeria densa

Egeria najas

Eichhornia diversifolia

Eleocharis fluctuans

Eriocaulon setaceum

Hydrilla verticillata

Hydrotriche hottoniiflora

Lagarosiphon madagascariensis

Lagarosiphon major

Lemna minor

Nymphaea lotus 'Red'

Nymphaea micrantha

Phyllanthus fluitans

Potamogeton crispus

Potamogeton dentatus

Potamogeton gayi

Potamogeton perfoliatus

Salvinia minima

Salvinia natans

Salvinia oblongifolia

Last edited:
Floating plants... that's a debate I don't want to start!...

But never the less interesting.. :) not on the above list..

If you can get your hands on it "Hydrocleyes nymphoides" (water poppy) search the forum and you'll find some threads with flowers showing.. Actualy a very beautifull and quite easy to grow.. Strange why it is so sparsly available in the trade.

All other Nymphoides sp. they can actualy be grown emersed if kept relative moist, maybe not all equaly easy but can. Tho its not a plant you will find emersed in the wild adundandly, it wont grow vigorously in that condition. I thinck its more a relative dry periode servival strategy.

Hygroryza aristata also a free floater in deeper waters, it will root in the substrate and grow erect and looking like mini bamboo if given the chance in the shallows

All the listed Aponogetons can be grown emerse... .. at very, very high humidity and they look horrible, but they can - and will even flower.
Crinum calamistratum can be grown emerse too, given high enough humidity and can produce scented, white, lily-like flowers like many other Crinum species.

Did anyone mention vallis yet ? I love this plant, it was the one I had the most success with when I first started many moons ago, and the one that encouraged me to try growing other plants. I don't think it's used enough; it seems to be snubbed, maybe not enough snob value ?...

fts-1-jpg.jpg

Did anyone mention vallis yet
Same here. As a kid it grew well low tech in rock hard water (it was the only method back then, lighting was tungsten house bulbs from Woolworth's). After a break of several years from the hobby the lfs's were only selling giant vallis. It grew well but would outgrow 8" long tanks, lost interest in it after that. Currently my tank is so stuffed with plants I don't have room for it.:(. May be take out some more load bearing wall and get a bigger tank:mad:. Don't have enough life left.

Back