• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George away for 4 months

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
I've been given notice that I'm off to the Middle East anytime from Nov '08 to Mar '09 for 4 months.

I'm quite lucky in that the location isn't a 'hot spot' and has excellent facilities, such as an American supermarket, fast food outlets (not that I'll be eating much of that), excellent gym, Internet etc. etc.

Of course, I'll miss my family and friends but it's something that they've learnt to accept. I'll be stripping down any tanks, as I don't want to burden my wife anymore than I have to. Besides, most of you will know that I love a blank canvas to work on.

I'm hoping I'll have enough spare time out there to write a book, so I'm quite excited about that. I started my PFK writing when I was in the Falklands for 4 months in 2006, so these deployments can somewhat a blessing in disguise.

I expect I'll still be active on here and be able to carry on with my regular PFK articles and blogs.

So in essence, most of you probably won't even notice that I'm away!

Well George you've still got 6 months between now and November, I reckon you could still squeeze another scape or two in. :D

Themuleous said:
I guess it'll also mean lots of plants up for grabs too...? ;) ;)
Lol thats one of the first things I thought of hehe :lol:

Nah in all seriousness, have a good a time as possible. My flatmates brother went to Iraq and had a great time as they were based near a big city with McDonalds and he was getting paid really well.

Wow, the middle east. At least you'll be able to do some cool photography, and brush up on your American accent.

If you need a doner tank for any prized plant specimens (aka Codename Tropica), then being the nearest member to you.....

:mrgreen

Lisa_Perry75 said:
Themuleous said:
I guess it'll also mean lots of plants up for grabs too...? ;) ;)
Lol thats one of the first things I thought of hehe :lol:

Nah in all seriousness, have a good a time as possible. My flatmates brother went to Iraq and had a great time as they were based near a big city with McDonalds and he was getting paid really well.

lol. Yeah, I'm risking life and limb for Queen and country and all you cheapskates can think of is free plants!! :lol:

I'm sure I'll enjoy myself. It's all about positive attitude. The guys I work with tend to be good blokes with a similar sense of humour, so it all helps. They'll be plenty of distraction too - writing, photography, gym, food and drink etc.

Good luck George, even if you aren't in a hotspot and do have a few home comforts it's still a tough old job mate and i have a lot of respect for you and all our boys and girls out there doing their bit. Lets make sure we all have a meet and a few beers before you go.

I'm always proud of the people I know who go away and do active duty in the forces. You'll be no different George, all I can say is the best of British to you and will keep you and your family in my thoughts whilst you are away.

On of my immediate friends is in the Navy and seen how much they miss each other when he's on a 6 month tour. I'm sure that you'll make sure that all the time between now and when you go will be very special.

Anyway, that's a bit deep for this time of the night and no alcohol drunk, so I would suggest that you give us your address whilst your away and we'll keep you flooded with post/emails.

Hi George, do me a small favour before you go take a look a my journal pics,seriously mate i hope we have a meet some where before you go and have a beer together, total respect mate for you and all our guys and girls in our armed forces posted abroad,regards john. 8)

As moaney and groany as I am all the time. lol I have always respected our forces (even though they wouldn't let me in). Hope you're back soon George I nee d someone to copy!!.

All the best

SC

All the best George, Its a hard life but I'm sure you'll find space and time for another tank. :D
Also, when get back you'll be able to use the excuse "i've been away for 4 months" as an excuse to have more tanks. :lol:

I'm now going to Afghanistan for 4 months in about 2 weeks (very early July).

Don't let the recent news stories worry you though (if indeed, you keep up with current affairs or care about my welfare!) lol

Should be fun!

Back