George visits Dennerle

Discussion in 'General Planted Tank Discussions' started by George Farmer, 15 Nov 2016.

1. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

Hi all,

Here's a video summarising my trip to Dennerle in Germany recently.

I hope you like it!

Cheers,
    George

Manisha, ourmanflint, tadabis and 7 others like this.
  2. rebel

rebel Member

Hi George, what do they keep their temperature at? Looks like it was cold outside!

George Farmer likes this.
  3. Martin in China

Martin in China Forum Moderator Staff Member

Lucky guy.

George Farmer likes this.
  4. Tim Harrison

Tim Harrison Global Moderator Staff Member

Wow looks like a great trip...and that's a lot of plants - must be a growth industry:D

5. andyone

andyone Member

Suprised how many they grow "dry" no suprise they is no algae on them!

Might explain why it takes these plants time to adapt submerged and the changes in leaf shape we see which is sometimes so very different from what you get in the box. Makes me think there very few truly aquatic plants which spend their whole life submerged

6. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    Yes, there is a discussion of this in <"Low Tech Plants">.

The "problem" is that obligate aquatic plants, like Blyxa, Ceratophyllum & Potamogeton spp., (and floaters like Limnobium and Pistia) are more expensive to produce commercially.

Which means that unless there is a demand (that will pay a financial premium for them) they tend to go out of production.

cheers Darrel

Martin in China likes this.
  7. zozo

zozo Member

Well don't bet on that with no algae on them.. :) Most LFS are champions on doing that for you.. This is something i do not realy understand.. Many of them get a bunch of emersed form plants from the nursery and the first thing they do is put these plants submersed in the shop, under the worst conditions possible... Next to that some are even so stuppid they put the terrarium plants next to it and sell it also as aquariumplant.

Is this to avoid questions by unexperienced aquarists? Would the average aquarist not believe they buy an aquarium plant if it would be offered emersed? Lately i had to explain a friends daughter why her new plants where dying so soon. She was rather disapointed to hear how it works and said why don't they tell, so they actualy taking us for a ride?

Anyway, punning the thread "What causes BBA" you could say, you buy it in the LFS. It comes for free on the plants.. :lol:

8. flygja

flygja Member

I think this makes it pretty close to the top of my list of "Places I'd like to live next to"

9. Manisha

Manisha Member

Wishful thinking, but it would be nice to have the hobby progress to a point whereby a video like this is featured as an advert on TV ☺
    I think alot of the plants we use are bog or marsh plants?

10. dw1305

dw1305 Expert

Hi all,
    They nearly all are. Some are plants, like Cryptocoryne spp., that grew in situations where you have regular wet (submerged) and dry (emersed) seasons, and others are marsh plants that will grow submerged, even though not necessarily for ever.

At the bottoms of turloughs in Ireland you find a specialized suite of plants that can survive submergence, but it includes some plants like Creeping Bent Grass (Agrostis stolonifera) and Creeping Buttercup (<"Ranunculus repens">) that you can also find in damp lawns etc.

cheers Darrel

Manisha likes this.