George's 125 l. NA

Discussion in 'Journals' started by George Farmer, 8 Nov 2007.

1. George Farmer

George Farmer Founder Staff Member

This is my 4th aquascape in my Juwel Rio 125.

I’ve also got this running regularly on the PFK blog, in an attempt to boost the planted tank and journal-style aspects to the hobby.

It’ll be updated weekly, so please feel free to comment on the blogs too. The more UKAPS exposure on the PFK site, the better…

It’s a complete re-do of my crypt/fern ‘scape that you can see here.

http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2 ... ol=1&id=95

It was covered in algae and had crypt meltdown due to a CO2 stoppage combined with the recent 2x lighting to grow glosso.

Anyway, pictures are more interesting than words…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can see a full-tank shot on the PFK blog. I’ll update with a new pic next week.

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/p ... blogid=128

Plans are to stock some otos and shrimp today.

I’m letting the Rotala ‘Green’ grow mad until it covers the surface then prune back brutally.

I have some more plants and plans in mind but will wait a couple of weeks to see how things shape up.

The glosso and rotala are showing plenty of new growth already, after 4 days.

There is minor brown algae in places but the otos will soon clear that up.

I’m visiting my LFS with Jeremy Gay this weekend to look for display fish. Although they won’t be stocked for a month or so.

2. Lozbug

Lozbug Member

wow, that all very impressive... :)

3. Dan Crawford

Dan Crawford Founder Staff Member

Crackin start mate, looks as though this is going to be another successfull tank.

That is a lot of JBL stuff, i might have to look at the JBL stuff for my future scapes. I presume by the amount of it that you have you can reccomend them?

I'm looking forward the seeing the progress.

4. Dave Spencer

Dave Spencer Member

Looking great so far, George. Will you be using JBL water? :lol: I don`t like the sawn off ends to the wood, but I am sure you have that problem sorted out in your mind already. The rocks look great, too.

I can`t see myself using anything other than glass lily pipes and Hydor in line heaters for the foreseeable future.

All this journal activity is making me seriously jealous. I think I am going to have to start stripping my tanks down. The Riccia scape is seriously hard work and could make way for some broad leafs. You`ve definitely got me wanting Cryptocoryne balansae.

I noticed on your link to PFK, the blog about the aquascaping competition. I got a mention, which is seriously cool. Thanks for that, George. Any reason why my tank picture isn`t available? :( Was it the Iwagumi?

Chuffed Dave.

5. George Farmer

Thanks folks.

Hi Dave,

JBl water? - Funny you should say that. I'm considering using an RO unit, and guess what? JBL do them...

Yes, the wood's only bad point is the clean cuts. Dan and I are meeting the wholesalers soon so we shall give them appropriate feedback.

I'll have to speak to Matt Clarke about your photo. I gave your Riccia 'scape a 'highly commended' I think.

Balansae rocks... I managed to save some from my previous layout. It's growing strong again in the 120cm.

Hey Dan,

Yes, so far JBL are impressing me. The substrate-base was easy to work with and relatively clean. The lighting and reflectors are good and the CO2 system seems good too. I'll be trying out their T5s soon too. ;)

I'm running their big external filter (1200lph) in the 120cm to mature it. It seems good so far, quiet and easy to set up. The only major downside is no auto prime facility, so it's good old suckin' on hoses time! :wideyed:

The JBL aquascaping tools are high quality with a nice finish and comfy feel. Better than my current Dymax tools.

Anyway, I'm off to buy some algae crew now...

6. Ray

Ray Member

Hi George,

Any reason why the substrate is quite flat rather than the more traditional approach of banked towards the back? I'd have thought after Tony Gomez's rather cheeky remark on you lovely AGA entry you'd be wary of that?

Its nice to see the links to the AGA entries - lots of inspiration there. I wonder if there is demand to do a series of threads where we do analysis on the composition and flora in some of the most choice entries and try to boost our collective aquascaping knowledge? I'd be very interested to hear what you and the other guru's on here think of other works...

Cheers,

Ray

7. zig

zig Member

Woo hoo all that shiney new gear :D

Quality journal entry George.

8. George Farmer

Hi Ray,

The substrate is sloped a little but the plants should create the effect I'm after regarding depth.

Tony's remarks are fair enough. The judges don't have time to be too nice...

Aquascape-analysis is a great idea and something they did/do on the AGA forum.

I am planning to to do some interviews for some big players too i.e. Justin Law. Just give me 30 hour days and I'll get around to it!

9. George Farmer

Thanks mate.

You should see my garage... :D

10. Ray

Ray Member

Sounds good, I'll watch and learn...

Its not easy to find that work/life/family/fishkeeping/PFK journalist balance... I guess for interviews we could have a thread to collect questions - that might help a bit...

11. stevet

stevet Member

Nice Kit george - not bad for a freebie! :lol: I need to get a job at PFK! ;) (at least i think this is what you said in pfk?)

I looked at th JBL easy set but the cheaper D-D set came with a solenoid and reactor so i plumped for that.

Definitely recommend RO water, been using with my discus for ages now. Takes the stress out of worrying whether three valleys water have flushed the system with extra chloramine/other fish toxic chemicals this week!! I use a Kent system but i dont believe they are importing into the UK anymore? Certainly buying RO water is a false economy. One thing george - make sure you're not on a water meter before buying one - they waste loads of water!

RO man do good ones quite cheaply?

12. Ed Seeley

Ed Seeley Member

You can use the 'waste' water if you have a tank that doesn't need mineral poor water. All my waste water goes straight into my Koi pond to top that up. Any extra hardness gets diluted with the large water changes.
    It can also be used to water plants (just not insectivorous ones or Orchids as they prefer soft water too!

I'd recommend RO Man without hesitation. They have great, high quality kit at superb prices. Mine is 5 years old and still producing water with TDS of 0.