George's 80cm - final shots

Arana

Looking lovely George :D you must bring your camera to the Febuary get together, i could do with some decent pics :D

Arana

cool... i have just been out and bought a digital video camera for the wifes xmas present so i'm sure we could make good use of that too :)

andy

I like that set up George....very nice indeed.

Do you have any tips for keeping Blyxa....i've never kept it before but it's on my wish list for the new tank.

Andy

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Thanks.

Blyxa seems fairly easy, but I do have good light and nutrients. I suspect a nutrient-rich substrate will help a lot too.

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
New pics.

f_fulltankm_85b3c71.jpg

f_partial2m_4d0338d.jpg

f_emberm_e26175d.jpg

f_riometam_92a1dff.jpg

S

sks

I will be using Blyxa in my background of my tank overhaul. Hope it's not too difficult.

Superb set up George, hope to have something like this, but I seriously doubt it given my level of experience with planted tanks.

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
sks said:
I will be using Blyxa in my background of my tank overhaul. Hope it's not too difficult.
I've found Blyxa quite easy. Thanks to JamesC for supplying good stock too...

With 2wpg, good CO2, substrate and water column ferts, I think anyone can grow it. Even my water is hard.

Tom

Thats really looking nice now, all your tanks all look so healthy and clean.

My only thought is that the wood looks odd and the tank might even look better without it or perhaps with another piece on the right. At the moment it looks like two seperate halves to me rather than one scape.

Tom

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Thanks, Tom.

You're the third person to mention the 'two halves'.

I think once the Rotala on the left has matured, the wood will almost disappear entirely, leaving a better balance.

gt568

Looks good mate. The fish look really nice. Have you had too pull up any of the stems or are you just trimming them?

Being back at work this early is pump too, not that you'd know. ;)

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
gt568 said:
Looks good mate. The fish look really nice. Have you had too pull up any of the stems or are you just trimming them?

Hi mate

Good to see you on here.

I've not pulled any stems yet. I will need to in another few weeks I reckon, when the bottoms can't cope with all the new growth.

I'm back to work Montag. Can't wait to start getting up a 0530 every morning again!

james3200

Maturing nicely George

Not to sure about the blyxa in the foreground infront of the wood, id like to see more anubias and rocks with a more full glosso carpet. The rotala also could do with a few stems infront to fill it up a bit, but if your replanting the tops soon that should sort itself out

Look forward to its development

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
james3200 said:
Maturing nicely George

Not to sure about the blyxa in the foreground infront of the wood, id like to see more anubias and rocks with a more full glosso carpet. The rotala also could do with a few stems infront to fill it up a bit, but if your replanting the tops soon that should sort itself out

Look forward to its development

Thanks for the detailed critique, James. Always interesting to hear different opinions...

gt568

George Farmer said:
gt568 said:

Hi mate

Good to see you on here.

I've not pulled any stems yet. I will need to in another few weeks I reckon, when the bottoms can't cope with all the new growth.

I'm back to work Montag. Can't wait to start getting up a 0530 every morning again!

0530, a lie in then ;)

Trimming the tops has been great on my red rotala, really filling up the tank, and to think all the years I've wasted uprooting stems :rolleyes:

George Farmer

Founder
Staff member
Well...

Jeremy and Dan popped over yesterday and blagged some stuff including most of my glosso and hairgrass.

Later on I decided to remove my wood and it's ripped up most of the Rotala and Blyxa.

So a major re-scape is in order (any excuse for me, much to my wife's dismay!)

I'm keeping most of the plants but going for something quite different, more suited to the height of the tank.

So watch this space.

(I've moved this from White Room to Journals).

Just after removing wood.
f_rescape001m_9458322.jpg

Ed Seeley

Got any shots from the front George? From this angle looks a lot more open (obviously) but can't really say much more at this angle.