• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's 80cm - final shots

What are you feeding those embers?! Mine never go that orange, ever.

This was taken from the left hand side glass. I like triangular compositions for this reason, as it's a whole new 'scape when viewed from the side
f_left1m_17735a6.jpg

Foreground transition
f_foregroundm_096d707.jpg

More Blyxa...
f_blyxarotalam_a112487.jpg

Rio meta tetra
f_riometam_0b9ad8d.jpg

More Blyxa and new rock composition
f_rocksm_4bfccb5.jpg

Shrimp
f_shrimpm_97cf311.jpg

Those are brilliant pics.

The fine detail you have in your tank, makes it so very natural.

Some algae can made things look more natural, to me anyway.

I agree, surely some algae can look like lichen on mountain rocks, you dont get many rocks in nature which are surrounded by plants but with no life directly on them.

A bit off topic, but has anyone tried tieing cladaphora onto wood/rocks?

I have a little clump of wooly green algae on some wood and I really like it, but it doesn't seem to grow :(

George Farmer said:

The orangy red from the Rotala rotundifolia and Ember tetras are a little touch of quality to break up the mass of healthy green. I love the restraint.

How many Embers do you have, George?

Dave.

Looks brilliant. Just wanted to ask though, I remember reading on one of your blogs that you had placed the filter inlet (or was it outlet) over your CO2 diffuser. I'm guessing that this is to help spread it evenly around the tank, but I was just wondering if the CO2 would have an effect on any parts of the filter (that is if you placed the inlet over the diffuser)?

George,

What's your water perameters? I tried Blyxa a while back and it just disentigrated but you seem to have it nailed! I'm not that far away from you in Leicester so wondered how your water differed? I assume it was tap water and not RO?

Finally, is that Blyxa from tropica? I could only get it from Greenline. I popped in to Birstall garden center but they coudlnt get it when they tried.

Lee

lstratton said:
Looks brilliant. Just wanted to ask though, I remember reading on one of your blogs that you had placed the filter inlet (or was it outlet) over your CO2 diffuser. I'm guessing that this is to help spread it evenly around the tank, but I was just wondering if the CO2 would have an effect on any parts of the filter (that is if you placed the inlet over the diffuser)?

Towards the end I had CO2 into the filter. It worked great. I think it works better from a microbubble diffuser into inlet rather than full size bubbles, as it dissolves easier with less chance of cavitation.

Aeropars said:
George,

What's your water perameters? I tried Blyxa a while back and it just disentigrated but you seem to have it nailed! I'm not that far away from you in Leicester so wondered how your water differed? I assume it was tap water and not RO?

Finally, is that Blyxa from tropica? I could only get it from Greenline. I popped in to Birstall garden center but they coudlnt get it when they tried.

Lee

100% tap. Approx KH 7, GH 14. NO3 20ppm and PO4 5ppm from tap, temp 25C, CO2 approx 30ppm. I never tested the water from this set up though, except 4dKH CO2 dropper.

Tropica don't produce Blyxa, as far as I'm aware. A fellow UKAPS member gave me this a few months ago.

Aeropars said:
George,

Lee

Available data indicates that Blyxa disintegration is strongly correlated to poor CO2 and/or poor Nitrogen. Water parameters appear to have little to no effect. Greenline seems to be the best local source.

Cheers,

Back