• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's 80cm - final shots

The first shot was taken into my hallway mirror. I quite liked the effect.

f_mirrorm_8aa18f2.jpg

f_rotalamacrom_f601000.jpg

f_shrimpm_47baed3.jpg

Graeme Edwards said:
Nice photo's mate.
Tanks looking good too!!
Have you finaly got your head round the digital SLR then?

Thanks mate.

Yeah, I'm getting there. I've figured out the settings, pretty much. Now I need to concentrate on technique and composition.

Hopefully Neil Hepworth is going to flog me a 100mm macro lens. Then I need to think about flashes really.

These were taken with an old Tamron 28-200mm, designed for a 35mm SLR.

I keep missing posts because my new post function doesn`t work sometimes.

That`s a very nice triangle, George.

Regarding getting to grips with your camera, between aperture and shutter priority, you will find the fashion priority option. Select this, and it brings your fashion sense in your pics in to the 21st century. :lol:

Just kidding....honest.

Nice DoF, especially on the shrimp pic, although the tails are a little out of focus, with a little too much rock in focus. Still, it`s not exactly something I have mastered. :rolleyes:

Dave.

Dave - thanks for the photo critique. Makes a change to 'scaping critiques.... ;)

I shoot Av generally. Tv for moving fish set to around 1/250 but the high ISO (and DoF) is the compromise, of course.

I'm looking into flash options as we speak. I'll be using both my 4 x 54w T5 and 4 x 24w T5 luminaires for final shoot if I don't have a flash.

Sam - thanks. There's actually not too much pearling due to my 'lean' dosing (5ml TPN+ per day). I expect if I added more NPK then I'd see more, but I'd have to run more vigourous CO2. This way suits me and the growth isn't too excessive for maint. It's all about trade-offs...

The Rotala pic was taken after a water change, hence the mad pearling.

I was messing about with new hardscape last night. Some midori wood from Aqua Essentials (look out for PFK review soon...) I still like the rock better though. And it aint moving, before anyone asks... 8)

Can't wait to see what you do with the midori, I'm looking into the possibility of using some instead of the manzatani I have in my cube.
How do you find it for scaping?

What kind of a budget are you working to for a flash, George?

I ask because you may want to consider using the flash off camera, which will mean budgeting for a synch cord, and they are not cheap. Good old eBay could be your friend.

Dave.

Dave Spencer said:
What kind of a budget are you working to for a flash, George?

I ask because you may want to consider using the flash off camera, which will mean budgeting for a synch cord, and they are not cheap. Good old eBay could be your friend.

Dave.

Hi Dave

I think I'm going to get the Canon 430EX flash with ET-S2 wireless transmitter. Total cost new around 250 notes.

Do you have those clamps to attach the flash onto the tank glass? I've seen Neil Hepworth use them and they do the job nicely.

George,

The ST-E2 does not work if anything gets in the way of the infra-red signal. You'll be much better off with radio triggers. Have a look on Ebay, you can get a transmitter and receiver that will fit your Canon flash from China.....around 15 quid, and they work just fine.

You'll also be limited with the ST-E2 to working in ETTL. For what you want, I would have thought manual flash would be far better.

Simon said:
George,

The ST-E2 does not work if anything gets in the way of the infra-red signal. You'll be much better off with radio triggers. Have a look on Ebay, you can get a transmitter and receiver that will fit your Canon flash from China.....around 15 quid, and they work just fine.

You'll also be limited with the ST-E2 to working in ETTL. For what you want, I would have thought manual flash would be far better.

Hi Simon

Thanks!

I'm new to all this... :oops:

Can you explain why manual is better than ETTL, please?

With ETTL the camera is making the exposure decisions....and it is not always consistant.

With the flash in manual mode you have full control. And once you find a flash setting that's to your taste/look your exposures should be the same every time.

In fact, for aquarium photography I would be inclined to set both the camera mode and the flash to manual. You them can concentrate on catching the fish in the right position without worrying about camera exposure settings.

I'm curious on the Lilaeopsis, wondered about some myself, but some report it grows like mad and others say it is slow growing - is it an invasive plant or one that is easy to control?

Back