• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's 80cm - final shots

Thanks for the link, Simon.

Chris - I think early descriptions of most Lilaeopsis were slow before good light, CO2 and ferts were the 'norm'. Like most carpets, I'd imagine it is quite invasive without regular maintenance in a hi-tech set up.

George Farmer said:
[
Hi Dave

I think I'm going to get the Canon 430EX flash with ET-S2 wireless transmitter. Total cost new around 250 notes.

Do you have those clamps to attach the flash onto the tank glass? I've seen Neil Hepworth use them and they do the job nicely.

I reckon I should have gone wireless.....maybe one day.

I haven`t given those clamps a go. Using a light box is the way ahead for me at the moment. I am just about to rescape my 60cm overgrown Iwagumi, so I hope to get a lot of experimenting done, but I do like the diffused look the light box gives.

Flash photography requires a lot of experimenting, something I haven`t had time to do lately, although I have had good results using the flash on TTL.....good ole Nikon.

Dave.

P.S. Any chance of a Neil Hepworth workshop for those of trying to get to grips with aquatic photography? ;)

Update -

f_80cmresizem_fc3790a.jpg

Very nice George. Even the rock some of us moaned about earlier looks great now. Well done for sticking with it. That blyxa grows big doesn't it? Is that a hint of red I see behind some of the Blyxa at the back?

James

Thanks guys.

There's some Rotala rotundifolia trying to break through but it's not doing so well.

I reckon I'll be taking final photos soon, before the Blyxa dominates too much (I may thin it out now...)

I think I'm going for a low-maint planted 'scape next. W.African biotope with no rooted plants. Tom Barr gave me the idea.

Thanks, Tom.

I quite fancy using just Anubias, a few varieties. Low light, CO2, Excel, and plenty of herbivores to hopefully prevent algae. Not sure on fish though. Congo tetras get too big maybe for 125 l.

Re. this 'scape I'm going to take final photos this week. The Blyxa is going bonkers and I can't be asked thinning out and waiting again...

I can vouch for kribs, excellent fish, don't dig too much if you hide a little cave for them, breed in no time, I used to watch mine for hours when they would take the babys for a swim!!

George Farmer said:
Good idea. Never kept kribs etc. before.

Any ideas for small W.African dither fish?

There are various small West African barbs, such as Barbus jae and the Butterfly barb, as well as a lots of smaller killifish like Lampeyes as well as Chromaphyosemion group killies with gorgeous male colouration. There's also a fair few small West African tetras like Jelly Bean tetras too!

As to the Pelvicachromis, stick with group 2 species like P.pulcher, P.taeniatus (I will have some young 'Bipindi' to move on in about 10 weeks...), P.suboccellatus (I've got the stunning 'Matadi' form of these too) P.sacrimontis or P.roloffi. They're all ace fish and any would be fine for an 80cm tank. The group 1 Kribs are too boisterous for that size unless you really know what you're doing (No offence!!! ;) )

If I ever re-did my 15-gallon fish stock I would go for a single shoal of pygmy cory. Amazing little things, and they shoal well in larger groups and become less shy. Often hang around in the mid levels when happy too.

George Farmer said:
So many fish, so little time... :D

I know the feeling; must get a fish house sorted...

You really might want to consider the taeniatus though, much classier IMHO and there are some very nice forms that are even nicer than the standard krib - Nigeria Red springs to mind!

Final shots

These are some final shots from this aquascape - entitled "Blyxa Hills".

The tank is now stripped, ready for my next 'scape. A PFK blog will be coming soon.

I'm giving excess plants away - those already know who they are so please don't 'pester' me!

I'm not showing full tank shots due to the introduction of a new Tropica plant, and ADA frown upon showing contest entry images prior to judging.

This was taken from the left hand side glass. I like triangular compositions for this reason, as it's a whole new 'scape when viewed from the side
f_left1m_17735a6.jpg

Foreground transition
f_foregroundm_096d707.jpg

More Blyxa...
f_blyxarotalam_a112487.jpg

Rio meta tetra
f_riometam_0b9ad8d.jpg

More Blyxa and new rock composition
f_rocksm_4bfccb5.jpg

Shrimp
f_shrimpm_97cf311.jpg

Back