• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's Iwagumi

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
Here's a few shots from my latest 60cm Iwagumi layout.

I'm afraid you'll have to wait for it to be published in PFK for a full-tank shot. Sorry.

4halres.jpg

amanoshrimp1.jpg

2shrimp.jpg

crs.jpg

crs2.jpg

shrimp.jpg

Thanks, guys.

Clark - I'm using the full ADA substrate and fert system. At the moment I'm dosing 3ml of Brighty K and 3ml of Step 1 per day. With every water change I am dosing Phyton Git and Green Bacter. I will switch to Step 2 in a month or so and consider Special Lights, depending on plant condition.

Steve - Not sure mate. I'm seeing Jeremy today so will discuss it then.

Thanks, guys!

jay said:
Did you plant the HC by stem?
Yes mate. I only used 3 pots of Tropica HC and 1 pot of hairgrass. It took around 3 weeks to get 100% coverage. And that's with 2 x T5 and 6 hour photoperiod.

As usual, initially I found the individual HC stems growing upward. I let them do this for a few days, then prune them back to near the substrate, re-planting any areas I feel need it. It then carpets much better, tighter and faster.

I am now pruning the entire lawn every week to keep it in shape. I can honestly say it's the healthiest planting I've ever seen in any of my tanks.

Most visitors don't believe it is real, until they see the oxygen bubbles. I love seeing their reaction!

An affluent friend of mine originally asked me and Jeremy to set up a 10 foot reef. Now she wants a 10 foot Iwagumi instead!

Happy times. :D

Thanks again for all the nice feedback.

Nice!
Eagerly looking forward to seeing a FTS. For two reasons.
1. Isn't this your first proper 60cm Iwagumi?
2. The use of ADA products.

3weeks to get full overage :eek:

Fred Dulley said:
Nice!
Eagerly looking forward to seeing a FTS. For two reasons.
1. Isn't this your first proper 60cm Iwagumi?
2. The use of ADA products.

3weeks to get full overage :eek:
Thanks, Fred.

Yes and yes. I've used ADA Aqua Soil in four set-ups so far, but not the whole system. The growth and health is remarkable in this. Not a hint of algae either, despite the low biomass and ammonia at start up...

A full step-by-step and full tank shot will hopefully be featured in the July issue of PFK. Once that is published it will be my pleasure to share more images on UKAPS.

George Farmer said:
As usual, initially I found the individual HC stems growing upward. I let them do this for a few days, then prune them back to near the substrate, re-planting any areas I feel need it. It then carpets much better, tighter and faster.

I am now pruning the entire lawn every week to keep it in shape. I can honestly say it's the healthiest planting I've ever seen in any of my tanks.

Thats interesting about the HC George, I've noticed that mine has started growing upward like you describe. Is it best to prune back to the substrate as soon as possible, or would you wait a week or so after planting for the HC to establish itself in the substrate?

Any tips would be appreciated as I'd like a nice carpet nice and quick!

Superman said:
Is it best to prune back to the substrate as soon as possible, or would you wait a week or so after planting for the HC to establish itself in the substrate?

Any tips would be appreciated as I'd like a nice carpet nice and quick!
I'd wait a few days, just so the HC is rooted better.

Other tips would be to get CO2 mist onto the HC if possible, if you want super fast growth.

Back