• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's Nano Sanzonia

Great little tank, I saw this in a lfs and was tempted. After getting some very opaque cherrires from luis I fink I shall have to invest in one of these for the kitchen :).

Oh and nice tank in pfk, its inspired me to look into setting up a fancy goldfish tank.....damn you. Haha
Would mosses and java fern type plants be okai with them or would they become food?

nayr88 said:
Great little tank, I saw this in a lfs and was tempted. After getting some very opaque cherrires from luis I fink I shall have to invest in one of these for the kitchen :).

Oh and nice tank in pfk, its inspired me to look into setting up a fancy goldfish tank.....damn you. Haha
Would mosses and java fern type plants be okai with them or would they become food?
Thanks! :)

Goldfish will likely try the moss, but Java fern should be ok.

I'll get an update photo up later. Growth is slow but steady, with no algae issues. Glosso is sending out nice horizontal runners. I reckon 6 weeks until I see a full carpet.

Hi George,
I think this is your third sanzon iwagumi tank, and very nice becouse of compact layout of stones.

regards

Thanks, Gill and emreutku! :)

Day 14. Slowly but surely...

4543227473_dbb4a379ab_o.jpg

say nice words to the plants. it helps. atleast they say plants grow faster,better, more beautiful when you say nice words to them everyday :p

but great scape :)

I hear that Vogon poetry is an excellent anti-algae, you should find some in the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy if you want try it. :lol:
On a more serious note, how is the tank staying algae free with such a low plant mass?

Cheers,
James

Thanks for the poetry tips mate! :D

On the low biomass subject I think a combination of overdosing liquid carbon, ADA Phyton Git and big regular water changes all help. Lighting isn't mega either; 11w PC @ 10cm above the water. I'm a little surprised at the lack of algae; I still haven't cleaned the acrylic!

I think it can be good to show some other less orthodox ways to achieve success with this hobby. The norm is to cram a tank full of plants on start-up, and it's something I always recommend to beginners especially. But there's always more than one way to skin a cat.

Of course, I will lower the liquid carbon dosing before adding any livestock, once the glosso has further established in a couple of weeks or so. There's really no rush.

interesting little setup George,where did you get the tank from ?,you have tooo much time on your hands living at base camp,planting so few plants so you can have an algae battle :lol: ,
nice one mate.

john starkey said:
interesting little setup George,where did you get the tank from ?,you have tooo much time on your hands living at base camp,planting so few plants so you can have an algae battle :lol: ,
nice one mate.
Thanks mate! :lol:

Give us a shout when you're next in the area and you can see it in the flesh; algae-free too!! :D

George Farmer said:
john starkey said:
nice one mate.
Thanks mate! :lol:

Give us a shout when you're next in the area and you can see it in the flesh; algae-free too!! :D

I will hold you to that george,
see you soon,
regards john.

Day 20.

Nothing to report really. Some minor algae building on the rocks and oldest glosso leaves. This was taken before a water change and pruning, where I snipped off a couple of plants and re-planted.

I bet you can't wait until the next instalment eh?! It's probably the most boring journal on here... :lol:

Another two weeks I reckon and I'll add some cherry shrimp, courtesy of cherry shrimp legend, London Dragon.

4561479780_4b958f9c3b_o.jpg

George Farmer said:
Another two weeks I reckon and I'll add some cherry shrimp, courtesy of cherry shrimp legend, London Dragon.
Lets hope I still have some by then George, my shrimp seem to be dissapearing, I have noticed over the last few weeks hat I have an outbreak of Planaria in my tanks, which I read today that adult Planaria can kill shrimp and are even toxic to shrimp :(

Tomorrow I am off to the vet to buy some fenbendazole to treat all my tanks, what a pain, lost every single one of my CRS and CBS, about £250 worth!!!

I will let you know though mate ;) Ceejay been waiting for some for ages too.

Back