• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's Nano

Hi George
Great little set-up.
Can you tell me what sand your using in the foreground.
It looks very golden..... I'm looking for similar colour and size.
Regards
hoggie

About time I updated this, six months on since the last time! :oops:

It's had a re-scape but I've kept the Sumatra wood that's now nicely covered in Java moss - the original and best moss IMHO (only because it's the only moss I've grown!)

The tank houses 10 adult cherry shrimp. No sign of breeding oddly enough. They appear healthy and are very active.

I've recently added CO2 via the new Fluval 88g system. The diffuser is the best ceramic disc I've ever used. The mist is amazing. I've retrofitted a solenoid too to save on CO2. 88g isn't the largest cylinder in the world!

I've just moved the tank on to my desk, which is very distracting when I'm trying to work!

The 'scape is very simple - not for contests and the like. Some nice new plant species in there that are growing very slowly, but growing.

Spec -

Tank - Orca MT30, 25 litres
Filter - Built-in behind background. 300lph.
Light - 18w PC T5, 8 hrs. Tube is around 3yrs old!
CO2 - Fluval pressurised CO2 88g with Aqua Medic solenoid
Substrate - TMC nutraSoil
Ferts - TPN+ 2ml per day
Decor - Sumatra wood
Plants - Taxiphyllum barberieri, Anubias nana, Hygrophila pinnatifida, Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan', Eleocharis acicularis, Crytocoryne wendtii 'brown' and 'green', Microsorum pteropus 'needle'
Livestock - Cherry shrimp

Here's an in-situ shot. I will try to get some closer images this weekend...

5455283749_d5e90cfe4e_b.jpg

Re: George's Nano - 6 month update!

Hi all,

As promised, here's some closer shots. I had a spare hour or so this morning so took the opportunity of using a studio flash. It's only a cheap 150w Interfit jobby, but it's ample for this little tank.

Here you can make out the flash head over the top of the open tank.
5460969025_7f63dde4b6_b.jpg

A close-up of the mish-mash of plants, including Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan' courtesy of Tobi's visit to the ADA NA Gallery in Japan.
5460545529_dcbb393d3c_b.jpg

One of the 'lesser' grade cherries on a C.wendtii "brown" leaf
5460545761_1cb1462bdc_b.jpg

Taken from the top of the open tank, rather than through glass. Hygrophila pinnatifida attached to the wood and moss. This plant is very slow growing, despite being so near the light. Maybe it prefers a nutrient-rich substrate?
5460546049_4082b0d3e6_b.jpg

The CO2 diffuser that comes with the Fluval 88g pressurised kit. I'm really impressed, as the mist is fine and bubbles are emitted from 100% of the surface.
5460969443_80373c84d8_b.jpg

That's all for now. Hopefully I'll update again before another six months have passed!

Re: George's Nano - now with studio lighting shots!

Tom said:
I really like this new Hydrocotyle you and Mark have!! The Crypts are looking very nice too

Tom
Thanks, Tom! :D

I think Mark will have some spare Hydrocotyle before me! It's growing very slowly in here. I've tested the PAR at the substrate and it's barely 10 umol. I'm surprised the hairgrass is growing at all to be honest. Maybe I should invest in a new bulb - it's three years-old now!

Crypts are my all-time favourite plant. Have been for a few years now. I love wendtii 'brown' for some reason. My wife think I'm mental - most of my favourite fish are brown too! :lol:

wasn't this in your front room last week George? ...or do you have 2?

Mark Evans said:
wasn't this in your front room last week George? ...or do you have 2?
Yes mate. I moved it from the fire place on to the desk, next to the fire place! Still in the front room... ;)

Here's the original location, where you saw it -

5373052755_2ffc39d8b1_z.jpg

Hi George,seeing the difference proper lighting makes to indoor shots i may have splash some cash :lol: ,
nano is still plodding on nicely albeit slowly :thumbup: ,

regards,
john.

10umol is next to nothing!
Where did you get your Par metre from? How do you find using them? Influencing your lighting choices at all?

Back