• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's Nano

lovely tank george, macs not to sad either haha. might be a good idea to get hold of a new bulb aye? then again if its working and things are growing, why upset the balance :)

is that java on the wood? i love the stringy look of it, very underestimated with all the new fancy mosses knocking about>

cheers

You probably already considered this, George, and maybe i'm being slightly picky, but couldn't you run that Co2 line straight down?

Beautiful tank though.

Are you buying air rifle cartridges for the fluval? The OEM ones appear to be a rip-off!

whatok said:
You probably already considered this, George, and maybe i'm being slightly picky, but couldn't you run that Co2 line straight down?

now that is just being picky! :D :D :wideyed:

I'm sure George is just as critical of himself, otherwise he wouldn't have such nice tanks! ;)

Thanks, all. :thumbup:

Garuf said:
10umol is next to nothing!
Where did you get your Par metre from? How do you find using them? Influencing your lighting choices at all?
I borrowed it from the PFK office. It's an Apogee model. Very simple to use.

My lighting choice is still based more on aesthetics than PAR, although it has been very useful when testing my LED units on the 60cm. Incidentally I'm now running them at 100% giving me around 100umol at the plants. No sign of algae and awesome growth, even though the L.arcuata is still very slow! I digress...

whatok said:

Beautiful tank though.

Are you buying air rifle cartridges for the fluval? The OEM ones appear to be a rip-off!
I like the attention to detail in your observation! Yes, I will eventually drill a hole in the hood to allow me to run the CO2 line vertically.

I will look into air rifle carts - thanks! :D

George Farmer said:
whatok said:

Beautiful tank though.

I like the attention to detail in your observation! Yes, I will eventually drill a hole in the hood to allow me to run the CO2 line vertically.

I will look into air rifle carts - thanks! :D

NP! You can get them for about a fiver each, especially if you buy ten at a time. I think the Fluval ones run at least a tenner..
:shh:

I borrowed it from the PFK office. It's an Apogee model. Very simple to use.

My lighting choice is still based more on aesthetics than PAR, although it has been very useful when testing my LED units on the 60cm. Incidentally I'm now running them at 100% giving me around 100umol at the plants. No sign of algae and awesome growth, even though the L.arcuata is still very slow! I digress...

Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about Apongee, I'd love to get my hands on one myself. 100umol strikes me as high but I know it's nothing compared to what some people on asw were running a couple of years ago when I was researching. Strange you say about ludwigia being slow, I remember it being invasive in my first nano, in two months I trimmed it once in my nano... I'm not sure it's light, that would be too simple a conclusion to draw.

George, if you said you had algae I don't think I'd believe you anyway!

Did you see the rough "par" chart over on Planted tank by the way? May be useful.

Thanks mate, this is a great link.

It actually makes us think about what our perception of too much light really is, or what a low light tank would be.

I got 4 t5's of 39W each 30cm above my tank, and was thinking that it would be too little. I got no algae, and the plants grow, but still thougth that it was too little light.

After looking at the graph, I stand corrected. :)

LightIntensity-1.jpg

Taken from http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/light ... 12-pc.html

Could something like this be made a sticky on the forum? It would help many people to know about this.

Thanks again for sharing it.

Yeah, pc means power-compact.
I suppose you can't really argue with the par readings, we've always known about minimum threshold for lighting over nano's so this could be just the evidence that proves that theory correct?

Quick update!

I've removed the hairgrass and replanted some Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan' that I've split into seperate plantlets. The aim is the get a full carpet along the front.

I've also given the moss a good trim back. The Hygrophila pinnatifida is growing nice and steadily and is starting to colour up nicely too.

I'm really happy with this little tank. Nice and easy to maintain and a pleasant distraction on my desk.

5501983972_4b9b8aae0b_b.jpg

5501984184_82ee30ae62_b.jpg

Tourney said:
Hi George, my other hobby is air rifle shooting, and I use a company called JS Ramsbottoms for various bits. For Co2 88g cartridges you might like to try this link
http://www.jsramsbottom.com/products/88gram2-umarex-88gram-co2-single-bottle-[2-pack].html

They sell them in 10's too, which brings the price per unit down even more :D

With postage it comes to £14-98 for 2 cartridges, how does that compare?

skim reading in a rush here so i might be a little off topic.... apologies in advance.

i tried using 88g air rifle cannisters in my dennerle nano CO2, the thread was identical but there was an extra 2-3mm extension on the top of the air rifle one which meant i could not get a proper screwing in seal. In turn i wasted two cannisters and broke the dennerle CO2 kit permanently. :(

A bit of plumbing tape might have helped, but it was too late for me to try.

Tom said:
I like the way the Crypts are spreading out quite low down :) The green and brown variation is nice too
Cheers, Tom. Gotta love crypts. :D

hijac said:
i tried using 88g air rifle cannisters in my dennerle nano CO2, the thread was identical but there was an extra 2-3mm extension on the top of the air rifle one which meant i could not get a proper screwing in seal. In turn i wasted two cannisters and broke the dennerle CO2 kit permanently. :(

A bit of plumbing tape might have helped, but it was too late for me to try.
Thanks for the heads-up. There's been an interested discussion on PTFE tape on UKAPS lately.

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=14844

:rolleyes: i changed my mind, it's better with the arched co2 line..

:clap:
Looks good, interested in this new carpet you're attempting. That plant really is luminous!

Tom said:
That chart classes my Mini M lighting as low. Serious? I thought 18w PC over 20-ish liters was quite a lot. I know Amano uses double that though in the NA World books.

Assuming a PC is one of these: http://www.aquamarin-shop.de/images/pow ... t2024W.jpg

Sorry to continue the off topic on this thread. maybe better to start another to discuss that chart.

I'm quite familiar with that chart and have discussed it with the 'creator' several times. Banter if you like. Its subjective really though. What I call medium the author calls low, what I call high the author calls medium etc.

Take it as a guide and its a great tool to have to compare the difference height and different lighting makes. However to use it as a definitive guide is quite hard due to all our different opinions on what is what regarding lighting.

PC/CF loses a lot of light. Even the best reflectors can't compare to a linear which is why 1 x PC is pretty much equal to 2 x T8 on the chart. Pretty much same wattages. I would go further to say the 2 x T8 would actually give more downward due to this.

Can we start a new thread to save George's Journal? We can move all these threads into there.

AC

Back