• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's Nano

With all the super journals being created and updated, I thought I better update one of mine.

5646676724_23853cf226_z.jpg

I removed the CO2 to slow things down. Dosing 2ml Excel and 2ml TPN+ daily.

My youngest daughter got her way, hence the two male guppies!

The Hydrocotyle sp. 'Japan' has formed a full carpet. I should have spare cuttings for those I've promised when I next maintain the tank (in a month or so).

I've attached several portions of Hygrophila pinnatifida to the wood. It attaches itself really easily.

Not much else to report. Easy little tank that provides a pleasant distraction.

5646819300_3554e32306_b.jpg

The hydrocotyle is weed like dont you find George?

I've got some in an old Chinese takeaway canister, with flora base, moistened and it's growing rapidly in their. It's also growing good in a plant pot outdoors.

Mark Evans said:
Defo!

I do like it and it grows well, should have some spare myself in a few weeks, lovely tank George, the plant health looks absolutely great! How are you attaching the Hygrophila pinnatifida to wood? and what sort of cutting are you using, the top a shoot or the bottom of the plant? I had some attach to some Dragon Stone, but it died off very quickly once it was overshadowed. But attaching it the the wood directly adds a little something different....... :thumbup:

Blimey George,thats some rescape love the hydro carpet,i didn,t know pinafetida could be attached to wood,

looks very nice mate,
john.

Tom said:
The Hydrocotyle looks great as a carpet. I'd like to see it grown on top of a Glosso carpet, I reckon it would mix well. The TMC soil serving you well then?

I like Guppies on occasion too. Amano uses them well in the early tanks I think.

Tom
Thanks, Tom.

I think the Hydrocotyle has lots of potential in various combinations in 'scapes. One of the more exciting plants around at the moment. Perhaps it's main disadvantage is that is so quick, so not really sustainable for any length of time if mixed with other plants. If you don't mind lots of maintenance then it's fine. It's not bad in here, because of my low light (3yr old 18w PC T5).

The TMC NutraSoil is excellent. No doubt performs the same as other similar products on the market. I'm also using it my 240 litre jungle (featured in next month's PFK) and growth is superb in there also.

The guppies add a nice splash of colour and movement. A real crowd pleaser.

Mark Evans said:

I've got some in an old Chinese takeaway canister, with flora base, moistened and it's growing rapidly in their. It's also growing good in a plant pot outdoors.
It's not too bad in here mate, as it's a low-energy set-up. I dread to think how to control it in a high-light, good CO2, EI set-up!

Sounds like you're the man to approach for more of it!

B7fec said:
.. lovely tank George, the plant health looks absolutely great! How are you attaching the Hygrophila pinnatifida to wood? and what sort of cutting are you using, the top a shoot or the bottom of the plant? I had some attach to some Dragon Stone, but it died off very quickly once it was overshadowed. But attaching it the the wood directly adds a little something different....... :thumbup:
Thanks, Ben.

Plant health is pretty good. A bit of algae since I added the guppies. I reckon the shrimp have gotten used to eating their leftover food instead of algae! The photography may be a bit misleading as my 6500K lamp is so green. I'm using tank lighting only on these recent shots.

I'm attaching the H. pinnatifida by simply 'sliding' the roots of top cuttings under the moss on the wood. I think the low lighting and nutrients helps to keep it compact too. Very slow growing in here, which I like.

SteveUK said:
Lovely nano George :) Loving the crypts!
Thanks, Steve. Gotta love brown crypts!

john starkey said:
Blimey George,thats some rescape love the hydro carpet,i didn,t know pinafetida could be attached to wood,

looks very nice mate,
john.
Thanks, John.

Yes, H. pinnatifida attaches itself more easily than any other plant I've used. The roots soon take hold. Lovely textured and coloured plant too.

Thats cracking! I love the use of the H pinn... is very nice attached to the wood, great texture and colour differences, this is an idea I have just have to use somewhere myself.....great stuff! Whats the current fert regime in this tank George?

Cheers George..... am setting up a small nano which is going to be more of a experimental thing than scaped setup, just want to see how certain plants grow and look etc, going to take alot of inspiration from your little beaut! ;)

Good stuff mate. It's often the experimental tanks that evolve into the real gems... ;)

FYI I got the H. pinnatifida idea last year when I saw it at the Interzoo. Dan Crawford also did the same in our Hannover contest tank, attaching a load to Manzi wood. It's the future! :lol:

Just see this on twitter
A little overgrown aye! :)
Looks great though and I bet the shrimp love it.

Back