• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's Nano

George Farmer

Founder
UKAPS Team
It's been too long since my last journal! Better late than never, I guess... :D

Here's my current nano, an Orca MT30. It's a mish-mash of plants that have been donated or left over from other 'scapes. I've just let it grow really. No real design. I quite like the wild look and it's a change from my usual 'clean' style.

09.jpg

flame1.jpg

flame3.jpg

flame2.jpg

It's gone through a few minor changes since it's creation for a PFK feature. See here - viewtopic.php?f=49&t=5632

I'll be re-doing it from scratch fairly soon, when I can find the time! I have some exciting plans for the new layout too.

I look forward to sharing the journey with you all! :D

Spec -

Tank - Orca MT30, 25 litre with bow front and curved edges.
Filter - Built-in internal covering entire rear of aquarium. Sponge and bio-ball media. 300lph.
Lighting - 18w PC T5 6500K, 8 hours
Substrate - Unipac black, Tropica Plant Substrate and Capsules
Fertilisers - 1ml TPN+ and 1ml Easycarbo per day
Maintenance - 50% water change per week
Hardscape/decor - Sumatra wood, Mini landscape rock
Fish - Flame tetra
Plants - Glosso, Crypt parva, C. wendtii 'Green', Blyxa japonica, Juncus repens, Hygro stricta(!), Rotala 'Green'

Re: George's Nano Journal

The plants look nice - especially the Cryptocoryne leaves lit from above in the first shot (the ones you can see the leaf veins in).

Did you take a lot of substrate out, or did it flatten down, or is it just an illusion?

In the 'on my desk' pic in the linked topic the substrate rises up behind (and higher than) the main rock, but it doesn't seem to do that any more.

Cheers,

Mark

Some more photos after my weekly maintenance routine.

Some stems pruned, including thinning out the glosso. I've removed the Hygro 'stricta' and added a new rock to the right.

Thanks for looking.

oncabinet.jpg

flame2-1.jpg

flame1-1.jpg

Its a bit of a misture of plants for sure George but it all blends in well together, I like this tank very much.

Hows the filter and lighting fair in these tanks?? I will after one of these on ebay for a while, just wasn't sure on the filtration, enough flow for the tank??? cheers

You all have a lot to answer for given I eyed up my PFK aquacube tonight and thought hmm, I wonder what I could do with that...

LondonDragon said:
Its a bit of a misture of plants for sure George but it all blends in well together, I like this tank very much.

Hows the filter and lighting fair in these tanks?? I will after one of these on ebay for a while, just wasn't sure on the filtration, enough flow for the tank??? cheers

Thanks mate. The current aquascape title is 'Little Jungle'!

I really like the filter. It's a true 300lph too, so more than 10x turnover.

These tanks are designed for marines, so the supplied lighting is 50:50 actinic blue/white. I swapped it for a cheap 6500K from Lampspecs. Cost around £5. As you can see, the 18w PC is plenty for glosso, and with no CO2 injection either.

I also disconnected the cooling fans as they are pretty noisy. It's been running for about 4 months now without issue. The heat of the summer (hopefully!) will be the tester...

Nice little tanks IMHO. I like the all-in-one nature to it i.e. no pipes, visible cables etc. And because it's not open-top, evaporation or escaping livestock isn't an issue.

nry said:
You all have a lot to answer for given I eyed up my PFK aquacube tonight and thought hmm, I wonder what I could do with that...
Good stuff mate. I look forward to seeing what you create next. Nice to see you back on the ball! :D

Re: George's Nano Journal - Little Jungle

Lol, I somehow doubt I'll do anything with the PFK cube, life is too full at the moment and I doubt my wife would approve!

nry said:
Lol, I somehow doubt I'll do anything with the PFK cube, life is too full at the moment and I doubt my wife would approve!
Yeah, I know that feeling! :lol:

I've just the two tanks running now - this and my 60cm opti-white that's going to be used for the PFK biotope series. I can't believe I had five tanks running at one point! :rolleyes:

Brilliant George, i do love the jungle look in nano's personally.

But what happened to the guppies? Or need i ask. :D

I've just re-scaped this little bezzler.

Swapped the substrate from Unipac black/Tropica to ADA Aqua Soil topped with Seachem Flourite Black Sand.

More wood, new rocks, less plants, new fish...

But you're not really interested until you see a photo, so bear with me and I'll get one up later... :D

Here's one of the fish. Anyone know what it is? No prizes, just for fun! :D

croplg.jpg

Oooh sounds interesting! :D Some type of Gourami maybe?

Back