• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

George's Nano

How does your c.parva stay so small? Mine is silly sized, the leaves are 15cm+ in length on some plants!

nry said:
How does your c.parva stay so small? Mine is silly sized, the leaves are 15cm+ in length on some plants!
Not sure mate. I've kept it in several layouts now, with varying growing conditions and it's always stayed small.

I wonder if you have a variety of C. willisii that is very similar leaf shape, colour and texture, but grows taller?

I hope not - it came from Tropica via AE :)

I'll be trimming off some of these leaves next water change, some are ones that were on the plant when new, so perhaps the new leaves will be smaller, it's taking a while to grow many new leaves.

George Farmer said:
nry said:
I wonder if you have a variety of C. willisii that is very similar leaf shape, colour and texture, but grows taller?

I have C. parva growing next to C. willisii in my 120cm. Both plants look virtually the same, except the willisii grows to about 15cm and looks down on the parva. It sounds as if you are describing C. willisii nry.

Dave.

Pictures:

Parva is in front of some wendtii:

crypt1.jpg

Parva is supposedly the crypt to the right:

crypt2.jpg

Sorry for the thread hijack!

It does look bigger than any parva I've seen.
nry said:
Sorry for the thread hijack!
No worries!

My motivation behind this thread was to create dialogue like this. I've really missed my journals to be honest and am glad to be able to create one again.

Photo techniques, fish, plant species discussions etc. etc. that's what I like about journals.

The leaves look eithe too short or too wide for willisii or Parvar to me. I wouldn't expect the tallest Parva (my tallest is about 10cm) to be taller than Blyxia ;) Both Willisii and Parva have long slender leaves whereas the plant you have in the second picture has rounder leaves.

Quite easy to mislabel things when its just a plastic ID card wedged into pot. I think P@H used to pull them out and use them as substrate in their cascades:lol:

AC

I'll give the original leaves a trim back on Monday night - the newer leaves seem to be staying lower and shorter, I think it might be the original leaves that have grown in length - I had no melt at all when I put these in (same for the wendtii green which I put in at the same time).

and ensure the composition is framed with more open space in the direction of swimming.

that is an interesting technique which actually works very well as i have noticed

I will set the ISO as low as possible to maintain high quality, noiseless images, but with no flash and relying on aquarium lighting, this has to go as high as 1600 sometimes

that made me laugh, just thinking how most of us are stuck to ISO400 lol. :rolleyes:

It's been a couple of months since the last update.

Nothing much to report. I'm just letting it grow, pruning as required. I rarely touch this tank to be honest - which suits me. fine.

I've added some moss and Bolbitis (not that you can see it yet!), so that might work nicely once it hopefully establishes.

I've switched dosing from TPN+ and Easycarbo to Profito and Easycarbo (1ml each per day). No CO2 injection. I figured there's plenty of NP in the fish food to cope with the slow growth.

The pygmy gouramis have recently started croaking on an evening which is very cool!

Photography isn't up to the recent standards set by the studio lighting boys! :D

29-7-09crop.jpg

Here it is a few months ago...

fulltank1crop.jpg

thats looking pucker mate :D

your the only one i've seen get amazing images without flash! so i wouldnt be too concerned. :clap:

I'm struggling with!

Thanks, John and Mark!

Mark - I have to confess to using some off-camera flash bounced off the ceiling to illuminate the tank exterior, but it's nothing like as good as the stuff you guys are doing these days.

I'm too skint to afford studio lighting right now and am (so far) resisting the temptation to get out the credit card!

George Farmer said:
I'm too skint to afford studio lighting right now and am (so far) resisting the temptation to get out the credit card!

booo..hiss :lol: ....do it! do it!

it scares me to think what you'd be capable of doing, but i think we all know it'd be the dogs ;)

Back