• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Aquascaper in training. :)

View attachment 498

A better shot of the cardinal tetras.

View attachment 499

Beautiful george. I love this scape it gives the sense of illusion that the tank is much much bigger.
Good to see the little one getting stuck in too.
Does she do the water change side of things or is she like mine and doesn't like that bit of things ha ha

Hi all,

Some livestock photos. :)

_MG_3778.jpg

_MG_3802.jpg

_MG_3803.jpg

cardinal1.jpg

Thanks guys. :)

How you feeling about the growth George? Are you chomping at the bit? Or are you enjoying a less intensive aquascape for once? As oppose to one that's 'mullerlicious'..!
I'm happy with the growth. It's not as fast as it could be to drive it harder with more light etc. would risk algae.

could you tell me please how many weeks did you kept it dry till flooded?
About 10 days. :)

I'm asking because I'm loosing my patience and because I have light unit under lid
I'm noticing few cuba and glosso leaves turning yellow.. a very few ones but
I'm still not happy abut it.. so my concern is about flooding the tank.. I have it
dry for a 3 weeks now from tomorrow.. would you thing it should be OK to flood
my one? plants, looks like, rooting in very well and spreading out quite well
(sorry for interrupting your post with doubts about on project)

Amazing results from 1 pot already.... Tropica must be getting nervous....
Thanks.

You raise an interesting point actually.

Whilst I am showing that it is possible to get a full-carpet (well... nearly there) with one pot, I still would not recommend it for most hobbyists. The line between growing plants and algae is very thin where such a small biomass is involved.

I think the keys to my "success" so far include -

Controllable LED lighting - without which it would be too easy to have too much light
Super (and already mature) filtration with lots of Purigen - mature bio-media and chemical media result in zero ammonia spikes and low organic waste
Time to do water changes every other day - lots of water changes help prevent algae by diluting organic waste
Large shrimp population - constantly cleaning all surface inside tank to prevent algae
Low fish population - less organic waste = less algae
RO water - I find I need less CO2 compared with hard tap water, and there's other anecdotal benefits
Active soil - high nutrient content, ideal grain structure, and stable low pH to encourage root growth

If I tried this same idea i.e. growing an entire aquascape from one pot five years ago I don't think I would have succeeded.

So I don't think plant suppliers should get nervous. I'll still always recommend starting out with lots of plants. But it is fun to experiment and challenge myself, and share the experience with you all too. :)

30 second HD video. Best viewed in 1080p with a pair of good quality headphones. :)

Tune!!!
Tanks looking great mate. True testament to your maintenance routine.

Its covering really well now. Just needs to hurry up a bit more ;)

Back