• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Hey george, good to see you back. The signature does look the part and the lighting set up really finishes it off.
Just bought a 1000nd tile for a new project but thinking of another use for it now seeing this. Do you think 2 x 1000ND would be enough for a 90P or would it need 3??

Look forward to seeing what you do with this.
Thanks, Iain. :)

I would say 2 x 1000ND may be ok for a 90x45x45cm.

As we know, most plants aren't actually that demanding of light, especially if CO2, other nutrients and their distribution are ideal. You may struggle with some of the more tricky carpeting species but with clever aquascape design I'm sure you will be fine.

I hope that helps.

Hi George,

Looking forward to yet another GF creation. A nice, clean, and clinical approach.

I do echo sanj's remark...the NA range is quite something.

Regards,

Mark

Hi all,

I've just done a quick comparison between the 1000ND and 1500 Ultima and the difference is quite significant. You can clearly see the Ultima is brighter and the colour rendition also appear different. Next week I'll try to get hold of a PAR meter too.

Using my DSLR in manual mode I've made all the settings identical (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance) so this is a relatively accurate comparison.

1000ND
1000ND.jpg

1500 Ultima
1500Ultima.jpg

Woah, they are brighter! They create a lot of spill though. I personally found this a problem when I got the grobeams, you get use to it though. Might have to invest in the new grobeams....

Holy **** how bright are those ultima's lol Perfect for a marine tank George :)
I'd like to have another go at marine at some point. I really enjoyed the planted marine tank I did a couple of years ago. A full-on reef isn't really my taste though. These lights would be ideal for macroalgae I reckon...

Woah, they are brighter! They create a lot of spill though. I personally found this a problem when I got the grobeams, you get use to it though. Might have to invest in the new grobeams....
Yeah, the light spill is considerable, but it's in the kitchen so isn't as distracting as having it in a sitting room etc.

Thanks guys. :)

Thanks, Ben. :)

You can see the cut-out here...

cutout_zpsfb5d90f4.jpg

And the lighting... Apparently 34% brighter than the 1000ND so I won't be using it on 100% for a good while. PAR readings should be interesting.

lighting_zps3f22a741.jpg

I'll probably start playing with hardscape designs tomorrow. Tempted to go Iwagumi but also have some lovely wood to try out. Plant choice is a long way off yet.

Hardware looking very nice indeed. Could you tell us how you cut out the half moon?

Hi all,

I managed to get a couple of hours spare today to have a play with some Mini Landscape Rocks aka Seiryu Stone.

I'm not particularly happy with any of the layouts but I thought I'd share anyway and see what you guys think.

I really need to get some new bigger pieces of this classic hardscape material. I've only a couple of largish pieces and I've used them in a few Iwagumi layouts now; it's hard to come up with something very original. Some of you will probably recognise a few stones from my last iwagumi - Project Scree.

The substrate here is TMC NutraSoil (mix of black and brown from an old set-up) and is ideal for dry 'scaping. Final substrate choice is a long way off, as I may use some open sand/gravel etc.

Here's my youngest daughter helping out her Dad with the rocks -
rocks.jpg

iwagumi01.jpg

iwagumi02.jpg

iwagumi03.jpg

iwagumi04.jpg

iwagumi05.jpg

I'd be very interested to hear any comments from you guys.

Tomorrow I'll probably have another play with these stones and if I get time try out some different rock types i.e. Petrified Wood.

Great to see you back George and can't wait to watch this journal unfold.
Love the white cabinet and have to say the tmc tank looks the part.
For me scapes 3 and 4 have the best feel. 3 is my fave but would be more challenging to plant with the rocks clustered. I know what you mean regarding the rock choices, the rock you've used centrally in the top 3 scapes is ideal for its position but does make you think of project scree, it was such a distinctive scape. Funnily number 5 reminds me of a smaller version of a scape Mark Evans did a while ago with the squarish upright rocks.
Anyhow I bet it feels great to be back mucking around with rocks and soil, looking forward to more potential hardscapes....you'll hide it with plants anyway so just chuck it all in :)
Cheerio,
Ady.

I like four but for me I would try with the center rock placed in the back right corner leaving the typical path look in the center.

5 is almost there,strange though the rear left and large front right draw my attention.... perhaps both a bit darker than the others?

I'm no pro but that is what I think lol

The TMC set-up looks really nice, I heard they were made in Portugal same as the Natural Aquario stuff. I was interested to see you decided to go with LED's again. Did you choose them over T5's or are you trying them out for TMC?

I think the third scape looks the most natural, although it looks as if there'd be no room for planting amongst the hardscape. It also looks very similar to Project-Scree, as you said it's hard to create an original looking layout using hardscape materials from a previous set-up. Still looks different to a lot of tanks on here at the moment.

Looking forward to more updates.

Back