• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the feedback. :)

I think the fact that there's no clear "favourite" here speaks volumes in terms of there not being a very strong layout.

I have decided I'm definitely not happy with any of the these so will have another play later. I'm actually having really good fun taking my time. #delayedgratification

Hopefully I'll post some more layouts later today.

By the way, does anyone know the secret behind succeeding with Ultricularia graminifolia? Lol
Good luck with that one :) but RO might be the answer!

Hey George, welcome back! Can't wait to see your attention to detail and clear and crisp descriptions back in action. If that even makes sense.

I think 1, 2 and 3 look like something you've done before. So between 4 and 5 I'd go with 5 :)

Thanks, guys. :)

I think I was a bit more inspired yesterday. Here's my Top 3 from about 20 or so layouts. I have a clear favourite this time. I'd be interested to see if any of you guys too...

iwagumi06.jpg

iwagumi08.jpg

iwagumi10.jpg

For me it depends a bit on what you want with it. In terms of rock structure my favorite is 6, but the drawback might be that it leaves rather little room for planting. Having lately become fascinated with Bucephalandra I can't help thinking that no. 6 would look awesome with some of the small Buce (e.g. "Kapit") planted in the crevices. Would make for an alternative Iwagumi scape: it is on my list of projects for sure :).

Thomas

6 is an awesome rock layout! My favourite hardscape of the three.
I can see that with a nice simple planting scheme to compliment the intricate hardscape....a tight foreground carpet and a bush of stems/grass right rear flowing directionally in line with the rock. On the contrary 7 is simple and could be very striking with more detailed planting.
In fairness each of the above could look great with the right plants, 8 has a great sense of scale and could be mistaken for a huge mountain range, it depends on what you are looking for or to represent.
I bet you have already visualised a planting scheme for your favourite!
That's the thing for me, you need to visualise a plant scheme that you like too to compliment the scape, it makes it.
Cheerio,
Ady.

I like no.6, but it reminds me too much of one you have already done. That one also happened to be my favourate of yours (when it was just with elocharis). I dont really know what you would gain from that. So if it were me, I would think it would be better to go with one of the mountain scapes and that is probably 8.

Great feedback guys - thanks very much. :)

For the record no. 6 is my clear favourite. It is indeed similar to "Scree" though....

...But is that necessarily a bad thing? "Scree" was arguably my strongest aquascape yet, and certainly the most successful in terms of critical acclaim. It's certainly one that provided me with the most pleasure in terms of viewing, maintaining, and receiving nice feedback. :)

I guess the question is - do I want to stay quite safe, create something I know that will look pretty effective, yet not really stretching me in terms of creativity.

Or do I take more of a risk and go for something completely different?

Ady's and Tom's very well articulated comments about planting is very relevant, and it's really the plants that will make or break an aquascape - even with the best hardscape in the world.

And so the reason I'm not deciding on planting yet is so I can remain totally open-minded with regards the hardscape - the backbone of the layout.

Anyway, I've lots more hardscaping to do yet, using different materials. Then I can make a more well-informed decision, no doubt with help and influence from you guys too. :)

Thanks again,
George

edit - a couple of posts have been added whilst I was writing this. Thanks, sanj. :)

Back