• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Good to see you back George. Scape looks awesome, you've not lost that touch. Time to spread that talent around though so the rest of the UK can catch up :)

This layout looks fantastic George, and makes the tank look much bigger than what it actually is.
I think everybody is right in they this is definitely the perfect hard scape for this tank. Looking forward to seeing this planted now :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely my favourite of those that you have posted! The fauna choice will also be interesting... Perhaps some micro Rasbora to further enhance the sense of scale?
Ahh..... fish selection. One of my favourite aspects to aquascaping! It's a long way off yet though, but I agree that they need to be small to keep the sense of scale. Thanks. :)

Thanks guys. :)

I've decided my plant choice now and am strongly considering trying out the Dry Start Method (DSM).

Comfort zone, schmomfort zone!

Plant list (mostly Tropica 1-2-Grow) is -

Riccadia chamedryfolia
Fissidens fontanus
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping'

Eleocharis sp. 'mini'
Eleocharis parvula
Ammania sp. 'Bonsai'

Hottonia palustris
Ludwigia sp.

Please check out my thread on DSM questions here, especially if you have experience with DSM.

Lots of Dry Start Method questions! | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Cheers,
George

George that's going to look amazing when it's grown in. I think it's already one of my favoriate layouts you have done. I just like wood and moss.

Not much of an update really - well, no photos I'm afraid...

I've emptied the tank,
the 20 litres of soil is soaking in a plastic container with 10 litres of RO water and 500ml of TPN+,
the wood and rocks are soaking in a separate container,
I've ordered a 30w heating mat to assist with the DSM,
Tropica plants should arrive in a week,
and I have extra Riccardia on its way from the legendary Irish aquascaper, Peter Kirwan.

I also have some super exciting news regarding a DIY device that will have a thread to itself soon... :)

Hi all,

I thought I'd share these two photos to show how much the focal length of the lens can influence perspective and depth when photographing an aquarium... :)

Here's 10mm focal length (taken with Tamron 10-24mm)
8409147860_7f929fac4e_o.jpg
10mm lens by George Farmer, on Flickr

And here's 47mm (I aimed for 50mm with Canon 24-105mm)
8409148022_d10aaa1604_o.jpg
50mm lens by George Farmer, on Flickr

As you can clearly see the difference is remarkable. See how far away the window cleaner appears when using ultra-wide angle. Ever wonder how some tanks look mega-deep...? Sometimes it's really clever planting technique etc. Sometimes it's this... Sometimes it's both. :)

More on this topic here, if you're interested! Ultra-wide angle (UWA) and aquascaping | UK Aquatic Plant Society

Who needs substrate gradients to add perspective?
....now we can all get a 10mm focal length lens and save money on glass by opting for a 10cm wide tank!

Incredible comparison shots, great to see a real time example!

Wow, that's 2 great shots. I might have to get one of these tanks. Was just pricing them up and they're a bargain for what you get and the quality looks great.

Wow, that's 2 great shots. I might have to get one of these tanks. Was just pricing them up and they're a bargain for what you get and the quality looks great.
I have been looking at those also, but would love an NA tank and cabinet instead! choices choices!

Back