• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
Great depth of the field and plant choice. Interesting Yogurt metod, but what about dairy fermentation and mold? I wish my Dad was interested from planted tanks when I was kid. But he teached me some other DIY stuff which I am gretefull. That will be another stunning tank.

A hell of a lot of thought,planning and patience that you have put into this that's why your scapes turn out top notch!A lesson to us all.Very interesting and informative.Cheers mark

Looks great so far George. Really interested to see how the moss takes. Can imagine it smells wonderful ha ha. I remember my mum when I was younger pasting natural yoghurt onto rocks in the garden and within a coupleof months they would be covered green.
It's great to see your little one getting involved too.

Thanks guys. :)

Well, it's taken a while but I'm finally fully planted. This aquascape so far has certainly been a marathon and not a sprint. :)

The last of the plants to go in were 1-2-Grow Tropica Eleocharis sp. 'mini'. I've used this plant once before but found it tricky to divide without wasting a lot of healthy plants. I prefer to divide it up into more portions than recommended by Tropica, as I can get more and faster coverage.

This is what one pot looks like out of its container - it literally pulls out in one go, really cleanly.

8442688690_e4f5dc25c2_o.jpg
eleocharis mini 12grow by George Farmer, on Flickr

Rather than using scissors to cut up into 8 or so pieces, I have used a Stanley knife blade. This way I can get over 20 portions with virtually no wastage.

Here you can see one pot's worth on top of the tank ready for planting.

8441660045_de4f512fdf_o.jpg
1 pot e mini by George Farmer, on Flickr

Here is the tank is fully planted. I've added another three species on top of my original list - M. pteropus 'Micro', L. brasiliensis and A. nana 'Petite'. Still unsure about the Anubias and fern in the long-term but they're easy enough to remove if I don't like it. I've also add a few 'strands' of Weeping moss strategically across various pieces of wood/rock interfaces.

Final plant list
Riccadia chamedryfolia
Fissidens fontanus
Vesicularia ferriei 'Weeping'
Eleocharis sp. 'mini'
Eleocharis parvula
Echinodorus tenellus
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Microsorum pteropus 'Micro'
Ammania sp. 'Bonsai'
Hottonia palustris
Ludwigia sp.

8441598039_208c47ce80_o.jpg
final planting overhead by George Farmer, on Flickr

And finally, Florence gets a shot of her Dad admiring his handywork! :snaphappy:

8442750224_94c50b187b_o.jpg
me and tank by George Farmer, on Flickr

Now I wait patiently. Hopefully the plants will take ok and settle into their new home. I'm try hard not to even think about the flooding yet... :angelic:

Luuurrrvvlyyyy!......
but I don't know how you can resist the flood, id want to see them swaying :)

Lazy with cutting the E. sp. mini up with a razor! I would have expected a pro like yourself to at least have planted stems individually ! :lol:

On a serious note, nice one George ( or should I say Florence?) with this, looks like its going to be spectacular when grown in!

Great adventure too with DSM! Im liking what you did with the fissidens. I think Im going to give that a go when I get chance.

Nice one!

There's something missing from this 'scape, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Thanks guys. Back at work now so less time on the forum now I'm afraid!

Looking great George. Have you made any provisions for if the wood floats on flooding?
Hi Ben

I pre-soaked the wood for a good week or so before adding to the tank. It was all saturated enough to sink at this point.

My hope is that this in combination with the constant high levels of humidity and misting will prevent it from drying out and hopefully preventing any stinky brown floaters! :)

Cheers,
George

Great read. I have been interested in DSM for a while now and have been planning my own tank for several months so this journal is of particular interest to me. I really like this scape, it looks fantastic. Hope it progresses well.

Thanks guys. :)

Things seem to be going ok so far but I know it's early days so don't want to tempt fate!

A couple of species are struggling - the E. tenellus was supplied in submerged form so no surprises there. The same story with the petite Anubias and micro fern.

If I get time I will post some pics soon.

Looks great George. There seems to be some ugly git in one of the shots though...:facepalm:
lol - you git! :)

If the micro fern is struggling mate it may be best to send it to me to put underwater rather than see it suffer :) lol
Look forward to more photos.....we do love pictures!
Cheerio,

Back