• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up
It looks the Business George! Are you adding the shrimp today? They are going to love it :)
I really like the photo showing off the all the gubbins underneath the display and very neat too! Something we should show more of, after all, those marine boys do it all the time! ;)

Thanks, Gary. :)

40 Cherry shrimp going in tomorrow, hopefully. I'm hoping they'll keep the moss nice and clean!

I like a tidy cabinet. There's room for improvement with the messy cables but I can live with it.

8488821233_a348abd577_o.jpg
inside cabinet by George Farmer, on Flickr

I've deliberately kept the filter hoses a bit longer than I really need to, as this allows for easier removal of the glassware by 'unhooking' from the tank with the hoses still attached.

I cleaned the glassware for the first time last night - start to finish took less than 10 minutes, so there's no excuse for me not to do it every week. Cleaning the hoses will be done when I can see them getting coated in muck. And I'm sure you know how easy the filter is to maintain. :)

I forgot to add that I added some Purigen yesterday too - simply put it neat (no bag required) into the dedicated chemical cartridge by popping off the cover. It's like there's no water in there now - gin clear! Thanks to Ian Holdich for sending it. He's a legend. :)

I promise to try and get some new pics uploaded today. Maybe even some shots of algae! :wideyed:

I've deliberately kept the filter hoses a bit longer than I really need to, as this allows for easier removal of the glassware by 'unhooking' from the tank with the hoses still attached.

I forgot to add that I added some Purigen yesterday too - simply put it neat (no bag required) into the dedicated chemical cartridge by popping off the cover. It's like there's no water in there now - gin clear! Thanks to Ian Holdich for sending it. He's a legend. :)

I promise to try and get some new pics uploaded today. Maybe even some shots of algae! :wideyed:

Great tip about leaving a little extra hosing for the easy removal of glassware, I cut mine for a perfect fit and it makes removal a slightly more arduous task! Lol
What are the black plastic connectors at the base of the pipes separating the g pipe from the clear.....or is it as simple as that just joints?

That's interesting to know about the purigen going directly into the chemical cartridge no bag required, I thought that the particles would be too small and filter through, even better knowing they don't as you'll get a better flow through them I'd imagine by not being in a bag. How much did you add George? Half full?

Look forward to more pics, and some of the new shrimp tomorrow hopefully....
Cheerio,
Ady.

Hi Ady,

I think you're referring to the 16-12mm Eheim reducers. I'm losing some flow but I think it is still plenty. :)

I've filled the Purigen almost to the top of the cartridge, using 250ml of Purigen. I'll keep it in its housing when using bleach for re-generation, and obviously de-chlorinate etc. in it too.

Cheers mate :)

Yes I would of thought the purigen would of found its way out of the slots in the cartridge - I've just 2 of the pre-bagged ones in mine at the moment, can't help thinking it slows flow down a bit though, although it is showing full flow on the LCD screen.

Hi Gary,

I was concerned about the Purigen leaking too. I did a quick test under a running tap and it seemed ok. We will see! :)

I'm not sure about the flow restriction via the chemical cartridge. It will be easy enough to check - I will and post back the results. :)

Cheers buddy :)

Hi all,

As promised some new pics. It's been 7 days since the mighty flood. :)

Starting off with some algae, making this a real warts 'n all journal... :D

algae2_zps41c85042.jpg

algae1_zps399cc8ce.jpg

And some close-ups of mosses, as requested...

Riccardia. Note the noise (grain) in the background. This is because I'm shooting at ISO 1600 (too lazy to get out my tripod). This kind of shot will be much cleaner with a Canon 6D. :)
8500422668_a5f8966f05_o.jpg
riccardia by George Farmer, on Flickr

Fissidens
8500420888_944f179c03_o.jpg
fissidens2 by George Farmer, on Flickr

More Fissidens (and noise)
8499314203_ec5e4a7afd_o.jpg
fissidens by George Farmer, on Flickr

Some "rogue" Riccia. No idea where this came from!
8499314101_3df2a79b8f_o.jpg
rogue riccia by George Farmer, on Flickr

Pearling Ludwigia sp. Note the transformation in colour and form from the Day 4 shots. I love the variegated pattern.
8499314659_25ba05edc0_o.jpg
ludwigia pearl by George Farmer, on Flickr

Ludwigia photographed from above
8500420568_368f2fc74a_o.jpg
ludwigia above by George Farmer, on Flickr

Safer CO2 levels for livestock, and clean glassware
8500421336_c339a80c16_o.jpg
drop checker by George Farmer, on Flickr

Looking through the length of the tank. Note how much detail you can make out in the glassware - uber-clarity!
8499314637_e1f4f56a30_o.jpg
left endon by George Farmer, on Flickr

Growing-in grasses
8500421546_0721901c54_o.jpg
centre right by George Farmer, on Flickr

This tank is looking absolutely awesome George. That last photo is amazing, looks as if you used an underwater camera in the wild and took a picture! The algae, i think, adds to the natural feel of the scape. This scape really reminds me of a nature aquarium documentary i saw on YouTube yesterday, it shows the natural habitat for the fish us fish keepers keep and also many other things such as breeding behavior of some species. Might be of interest to you and the guys on here :

Keep up the good work, stunning! :thumbup: :clap:

That drop checker looks great it just worries me a little that you cant move it deeper to get readings at different depths in the tank, it does look the part though:)
I know what you mean mate. But I think this position is pretty good, as it is where there's likely the least circulation. For me a drop checker is just a very rough guide, and I don't use them once I've established an appropriate CO2 bubble rate. :)

I know what you mean mate. But I think this position is pretty good, as it is where there's likely the least circulation. For me a drop checker is just a very rough guide, and I don't use them once I've established an appropriate CO2 bubble rate. :)

I guess if you wanted to get a measurment from substrate level you could always fix a piece of tubing to the bottom and cut to length :thumbup:

I always found your journals very informative and a pleasure to read and follow.

It is really nice you take the effort to write and document the process.

Good idea on the TMC, using a 12 hour period, with a ramp up of 4 hours.

One of the reasons I like the TMC tiles so much is the flexibility it offers.

Good work.

Stunning pictures George.
You must have been using the blender for chopping plants before, hence the riccia......don't worry, we won't tell the Mrs. ;)

Looks like you've been the ocd constant tinkerer already judging by the graded hairgrasses.....they're starting to look very natural indeed....it's all in the details.
Looking at the last photo, the ludwigia doesn't look disproportionate to the rest of the scape at all, infact in that photo it adds a great sense of scale and depth, I really like it, will be interesting to see what colour it finally settles on :)

Did you reduce your hose size to be able to use more appropriate sized glassware for the tank?

The shrimps will have that algae scoffed in no time :)

Cheerio,
Ady

Great pics, it's nice to see that a professional Aquascaper still gets a bit of algae lol - mind you those shrimps will have a great start in their new home and will have that under control in no time :)

Thanks Tom.

Your idea of finer textures is good - 60cm demands these for a decent sense of scale. The Ludwigia may not even stay in their long-term. I am actually considering replacing all of the stems with more grasses to make the layout more naturalistic. But this is a couple of months away yet, if I do decide to take this route.

I'm probably going to let some of the stems grow emerged too - I really like seeing plant life above water. One day I will do a paludarium.

Ah look at it this way, start with some nice color, then slowly reduce and go for essence.
Or start with essence, the slowly add color to it.

Either way, you learn and can explore, the removal/addition adds nice elements to it.
Amano does this a lot, or at least he use to.

Looking good George, that algae will soon disappear. Once things settle, and the shrimp get going. Good to see new growth from the moss's as well.

Back