• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get excited and make something.

Red Bees are my fav creatures since i've seen them. Japanese and some other far east breeders created some amazing versions and blood lines in the past years.

One of the high qual breeder is Crimson around this time.

Just look at these beauties.....

imomusi.jpg

hinomaru.jpg

toragara.jpg

obi.jpg

source: http://crimson.ocnk.net/

I like on hi grade bee shrimp how when they are berried you can barely see the eggs as the colour on the shell wraps all the way round. Just like in that first pic :)

The shrimp pictures are excellent, I still haven't owned these shrimp...I need them in my life :)

I bet there's about £12,000's worth of shrimp there...
Great post viktor, livestock is something we all don't think about enough I feel.

Not sure if I posted this on here but this is my Victorian specimen jar style emersed setup. It usually lives on my windowsill. Just waiting for the Ludwigia repens to grow nice and tall as a focal piece.

Planting;
Ludwigia repens
Eleocharis parvula
Pogostemon helferi

Substrate is Columbo Florabase with Osmocote slow release granules. The jar is never sealed as this results in unsightly condensation. However the lid looks cool and makes it very easy to transport around so it can be moved to a different windowsill, taken to the office, given as a gift etc and also be sealed to 'break in' new submerged form plants.

jar002.jpg

jar003.jpg

jar001.jpg

Thought this may be food for thought for some of you guys to use your trimmings. My next plan is for a Victorian bell jar.

Cheers,
Neil

Great one Neil.

I use acrylic containers for mosses and place all my cuttings on them, sometimes they grow, other times they turn to mush. :)

Your's looks much nicer, and very clean, good idea about using the osmocote, got some and will try it later today on a pot I got available.

Hydrocotyle, HC and even UG are fantastic to grow emersed, and this is a good setup to have.

SteveUK said:
Fantastic Neil :) Love it!

Cheers Steve :thumbup: Give it a go!

Tom said:
I'm getting some 1-2-grow hairgrass next week, so I might try something like this with maybe HM and Hydrocotyle :D Do you find there's enough humidity with the top open? Do you spray it?

That 1-2-GROW would work a treat being already in its emersed form straight from the Tropica lab. Hydrocotyle is definitely one I want to try, such a nice looking plant.

Nowadays I never spray it but I'm vigilant on keeping the substrate ALWAYS wet (seems obvious for an AQUATIC plant) - It had a melt down in the winter when I forgot to water it for a week. Since then the main problem is not letting one particular species of plant take over and having a balanced mix. 'The Downoi now grows really compact from constant trimming with the main stem growing horizontal along the substrate which I've never seen before submerged.

If I were to start from fresh I would spray it everyday with water and TPN+ but I'm lucky enough now that I just use water in a jug straight from the tap to top up to soil level every couple of days. Other then that its just giving it all a trim and cleaning the glass with Mr Muscle every few weeks. Leaving the lid on in direct sunlight it a bad idea as the I measured the temp gets up to 40 degrees C inside!

ghostsword said:
Great one Neil.

I use acrylic containers for mosses and place all my cuttings on them, sometimes they grow, other times they turn to mush. :)

Your's looks much nicer, and very clean, good idea about using the osmocote, got some and will try it later today on a pot I got available.

Hydrocotyle, HC and even UG are fantastic to grow emersed, and this is a good setup to have.

Cheers mate :)

Osmocote seems to work great. I used the 6 month variety which meant I had to insert some fresh granules with tweezers this week when the old stuff exhausted. Land based ferts are fine in this kind of setup as you won't have the algae issues from the ammonia content.

Garuf said:
Those are fantastic Neil, a whole lot nicer than my jam jars.

Cheers Garuf, glad you like it. I've kind of shot myself in the foot with it looking good as my fiance wants me to do something similar for the table centre pieces when we finally sort our wedding out. Kind of like this;

29-b-grubb.jpg

29-c-grubb.jpg

source; http://floragrubb.com/shop/detailWrapper.php?id=29&type=g

Those images have just inspired me to try add some height to my jar with some miniature wood but sadly heather doesn't grow around these parts :(

Shoot me a PM I'll collect you some heather and juniper.

The little containers with plants are really cool, I went to wedding in cape town and they had something similar, which made my wife very happy to have some containers at home with mosses and emersed plants. They are now on the garden, as there is good weather, but I need to make something nice like that for the home.

The osmocote idea is one that I will try today.

Really a good post about "Get excited and make something", very inspirational. Maybe we should have a competition with that theme, only container jars allowed.

Neil that's freaking cool man! I really like it.

Here goes nothing :)
http://www.eco-sphere.com/about.html
Seems pretty cool to me, my friend had one next to her computer and I was amazed by it haha. A little spere of glass, completely sealed, with a plant of some kind and sand and a few shrimp, I though it was cruel and asked how long she'd had it......over 2years!!! Haha its crazy its just self contained ecosystem....

I've seen those in a shop, the shrimp looked in poor health. They stay alive, but only just.

Back