• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get your garden out

I have now mounted the fern on a board and held it in place with wire and a net stapled to the wood.
Also some more lighting sorted...
8C3880A3-0620-478B-8DDB-AA74B617C1BA.jpeg
5C5A922B-67EC-4C2B-BFE1-9CCCD9BE117A.jpeg

When we bought our house 3 years ago I absolutely had to have gas installed so I could have gas hobs to cook, being in the fen's this meant digging up our front garden to install a tank. Also being in the fen's this meant losing the top 12 inches of soil and back filling the hole with the gault clay that came out of the 12ft deep hole which the area is famous for. Being a quick fix as we had a whole house gutted to put back together I only invested in 3 inches of top soil when reinstating.
Anyway loads of plants went in randomly to see what would take, I knew I wanted a woodland style but that was it. As solid clay it's a wet mess in winter and baked concrete in summer.
3 years later the surviving plants have finally reached maturity.
I appreciate it's a disorganised mess and next year everything will get moved around to achieve what I hoped for but I'm pretty pleased with the plants that survived the experiment.... hosta's have gone mad this year!
c2f566835d5e5bb21469610db9b349d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I like chaotic planting, I think it looks good as is. But your methodology makes good sense. Moving stuff around and redesigning is all part of the gardening experience, similar to re-scaping a tank but more work :rolleyes:
I've done something very similar in our front garden, but only planted it up March just gone. There was amenity planting there before; shrubs that had become overgrown, now transferred to the back garden.

Again heavy clay subsoil with very little top soil, so I can totally relate to your garden; Somme in winter and concrete in summer with cracks as wide and deep as the Grand Canyon. It's a new development so a nice mix of builders rubble and half bricks as well :meh:

It's a bit of a mess atm but we'll see what survives and what does well and maybe move a few ;)

Just one half of the front garden, the other half is so bad it's not photo-worthy...

47984309271_a6ebb171c0_b.jpg

Tim Harrison, on Flickr

Bumper crop, must be a mast year. But no net? I used to live in a former cherry growing region in Essex. About this time of year some of the remaining trees would be covered in netting otherwise the birds'd eat 'em all...the cherries that is.

Bumper crop, must be a mast year. But no net? I used to live in a former cherry growing region in Essex. About this time of year some of the remaining trees would be covered in netting otherwise the birds'd eat 'em all...the cherries that is.

No net, never had a net, but still enough left to make to much marmelade.. I still have from previous year standing around.. :)

Having cats around probably helps a lot.. Do you see him, sitting almost at the top? Unfortunately he's no longer among us, but he was mad.. Could sit in the tree for hours when the cherries were ripe.

dscn5485-kopie-jpg.jpg

I also have birdfeeders hanging, but don't see much birds.. It's to close to the ground and to many cats strolling around.

Hi all,
The pond had developed a bit of filamentous green algae bloom, so I've put a few spare floaters on it. So far they aren't really enjoying life, other then the hitchhiking Azolla.
I took this one this morning, the pond has gone from about <"1/3 Azolla coverage to about 70%"> in ~10 days.

The Limnobium looks quite good, but the Pistia is still struggling. I'm not sure whether it is the change to higher light intensity or the cool nights.

AzollaPondJune2019.JPG

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi all,
I took a couple of shots of the garden while I was photoing the Azolla .

This is the gravel garden, it has filled out remarkably from <"earlier in the year">. I'd assumed that a lot of it has died (it was all brown and withered when I came back last august), but I think most of the plants were just taking a siesta.

gravelJune2019.JPG

This is the West facing border in the back garden, this is about as good as it gets, it is all down hill from here flower-wise for the rest of the summer. There is an earlier incarnation on <"page 2">.

I've tried lots of later flowering plants, but I don't water the garden and they tend to struggle. Looking back at the pictures <"Allium cristophii"> loves this border. I bought five bulbs ~15 years ago, this border has ~25 flower-heads, all the one I've moved elsewhere have died, I've no idea why.

Back_garden_June2019.JPG

cheers Darrel

Hi all, I took this one this morning, the pond has gone from about <"1/3 Azolla coverage to about 70%"

Hi Darrel, do you know which species of azolla you have there? I had a couple of little bits that hitchhiked on something and they over wintered fine. They were bright red all summer but as the weather has got sunnier they have changed to green. I know azolla filicuoides is no longer allowed here and just wondered if that's what I have, so I know where to put the excess.

Hi all,
Hi Darrel, do you know which species of azolla you have there? I had a couple of little bits that hitchhiked on something and they over wintered fine.
Mine came from the restored section of the <"Wilts & Berks canal">, but as far as I know whatever they are sold as (or collected from) they are <"Azolla filiculoides">.

I've seen a couple of different species, but the only way I knew they were different was that a botanist told me they were different. Via <"Wikipedia">
The only sure method of distinguishing this species from Azolla filiculoides is to examine the trichomes on the upper surfaces of the leaves. Trichomes are small protuberances that create water resistance. They are unicellular in A. filiculoides but septate (two-celled) in A. cristata (syn. A. carolinana).
They were bright red all summer but as the weather has got sunnier they have changed to green.
Mine do that, because we use them for a practical I now know that the large green plants are the ones with <"nitrogen fixing Cyanobacteria"> present.

I had the great idea that using the red ones would make the Cyanobacteria easier to see, but found that they don't have (m)any.
I know azolla filicuoides is no longer allowed here and just wondered if that's what I have, so I know where to put the excess.
Compost it?

cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel, I meant to say it's red all winter long and turns green in the summer.

I saw some for sale on eBay that was listed as another species but was just wondering how practical it was for the average hobbyist to identify, or whether they were just claiming it was that species because the other is banned. It seemed relatively popular though and I was just wondering if I could offer mine it to others but as it overwintered I thought its most likely the naughty species, so will compost.

Hi all,
saw some for sale on eBay that was listed as another species but was just wondering how practical it was for the average hobbyist to identify, or whether they were just claiming it was that species because the other is banned
I think identifying any of them to species is a microscope job.

I would guess that the plant sold as Azolla caroliniana (A. cristata) is really A. filiculoides. Azolla filiculoides has been banned from sale since 2014

It isn't a new arrival in the UK, it has been here for over a hundred years (first recorded in the wild in 1883) and I think it tends to come and go (or certainly dramatically vary in abundance) at any particular location.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
Looks fab!
Are you guys suffering a lack of rain? We are, it has been almost three weeks since a half decent downpour.
My rain water butts are down 3/4 and the grass is turning to straw .
It had been really dry (in Corsham), but we've had a reasonable amount of rain now and my water butts are pretty much back to full.

cheers Darrel

That green desk lamp shade ( i assume) also is a nice classis touch.. :thumbup:

And its a Antikythera Clock.. :cool:

A friend bought the clock for me as an early birthday present, I made the back frame from ply and painted it to look like metal. I used some cinnamon powder over the wet paint for a rusty effect.
Yes I found a green glass lamp and I have some green LED tea lights to power it.
I have bought loads of lighting, flame effect bulbs and mini battery LEDs, wire LED is really cool but this is about forward planning as it doesn’t get dark until 10pm at the moment, should look good in the winter though.
I have spent hundreds of hours doing this and now I am behind in every other aspect of garden life!

I used some cinnamon powder over the wet paint for a rusty effect.

Good idea, looks good.. Never though of that.. What background color didyou use, Silver/grey?

We have a paint brand Still-Life (Stilleven) Oxy Rust.. It contains iron particles and probbaly some copper and acids to accellerate the oxidation process. Within 12 hours it looks like iron that was outdoors for a decade. But pretty expensive at €32 for 0.5 litre. Tho never used it, but it look realistic.. Definitively going to try cinnamon, smells better too i guess. :p

Last edited:
Back