• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Get your garden out

Much more useful than the fungi growing in my garden at the moment, Phallus impudicus. There are six or seven out at the moment and they really are stink horns.

I always like to find a stinkhorn, they are very interesting and quite funny!
When I was young, my friend ‘Steve’ found a stink horn and bought it around to my house to show me!
He went onto become a doctor and for the last 35 years I have called hIm Dr Stinkhorn…

Last edited:
Took a Quick snap just before the Rain flattened them. They are ok-ish again now but still not quite the same.

Attachments

• 20210714_173832.jpg
    20210714_173832.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 169
I tend to leave plants that have sown themselves out alone if it doesnt immediately bother me. So now there is this large Eryngium flower right in the walkthrough to our bbq terrace. Thats all fine, but it is attracting so many bees and flies and all things flying thats its becoming a bit scary walking past it. Its all harmless but still a cloud of flying insects evokes a primal 'OMG GET 'EM OFF' response in me. I wanted to upload a vid too, but its too big, so that will have to wait till I can make it a smaller one.
20210721_104156.jpg

I always like to find a stinkhorn, they are very interesting and quite funny!

Happy to post you a few.

Apparently they are edible before they "engorge" but I'm too scared to try them. Found half a dozen hidden in the ferns today plus a few more ready to pop.

20210721_141116.jpg
20210721_140913.jpg
20210721_141039.jpg

I left them all there despite the stink because they are interesting and don't last long.

Nowhere near as good as all of yalls gardens, but all I can manage in my apartment.

These are my sub irrigated planters with peppers, herbs, and tomatoes. The tomatoes were a bit light starved early in the season so grew super tall and leggy. Now they reach over my head (6' 2") and have grown together into a tangled mess. So top heavy the keep pulling the trellis over!

Sadly, I think I will have to bleach and reset these planters next season since it looks like my peppers are suffering from a disease that looks very similar to last season.

825851663015ed9893e6234e56ca6b33.jpg
3129842d9a32e923cbf3a44a3c7b7b66.jpg
4548a08cf88fd6cfa7bf1ec8bdd6c14e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

The Stag Horn fern seems to be a slow growing plant under the conditions it is being kept, but it does apear to be very healthy.
When it does grow, the growth is rapid just restricted to just a couple of months a year.
F30F9AF6-EAC3-4273-B7A7-0937CBD89B42.jpeg

Few snaps from the garden in between Rain. A fly visiting the agapanthus coming into flower. A critter I couldnt ID but suspect to be a horse fly relative so I went indoors after taking the snap (if it flies and bites I am quick to disappear). And finally agastache combined with persicaria.
20210806_161238.jpg
20210806_161308.jpg
20210806_161145.jpg
20210802_125707.jpg

They are both hoverflies and completely harmless. The second bigger one is, I think, Volucella pullucens Pellucid Fly | NatureSpot

I've had lots of its larger relative Volucella zonatus, hanging around the eryngiums this year.

Nice persicaria by the way. I love that plant and so do the wasps, they seem to get drunk on it in their retirement in late summer before the winter takes them.

They are both hoverflies and completely harmless. The second bigger one is, I think, Volucella pullucens Pellucid Fly | NatureSpot

I've had lots of its larger relative Volucella zonatus, hanging around the eryngiums this year.

Nice persicaria by the way. I love that plant and so do the wasps, they seem to get drunk on it in their retirement in late summer before the winter takes them.
Ah thanks, I know the regular hoverfly is harmless, there are literally hundreds of those in the garden. The other one looked strange to me and living near woods and horses has made me cautious with flying critters. I never knew how many bugs can bite till we moved here 😆 I distrust anything not on or near flowers, especially right after rain. Just now got bitten again by a horsefly walking the dog near meadows with horses.
The persicaria is full of regular bees right now, but in a few weeks wasps will take over. I like how every plant attracts different insects. Bumblebees love the lavender and anemones, bees the persicaria and geraniums, hoverflies have claimed the alliums, wasps have taken the eryngiums, and butterflies love the lilacs and monarda.

20210802_130144.jpg 20210802_130203.jpg

Bees on persicaria, hoverflies swarming the allium millennium, and a pretty hoverfly mimicing a European hornet I guess, with the red/yellow theme. Pretty :) we get hornets drinking from the pond occasionally, their heavy buzz imposing like apache helicopters, but they dont bother us.
20210807_122147.jpg
20210807_122234.jpg
20210807_122055.jpg

Been doing a bit of structural work in our front garden. Thought I might use the result as the centerpiece for an aquascaper 900 build. What do y'all think?
View attachment 173378
Obviously I'd actually have to buy an aquascaper 900 and then reinforce the floor where it was sited to carry this plan out, but those are minor details.
Looks great with the root structure but whats the wood?

Back