• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

getting extra lighting over subjects

aaronnorth

I was thinking about getting a light unit, i thought about something like this:
http://nextday.diy.com/app/jsp/product/ ... ctId=32394

would 500w be overkill? I am thinking yes but have no idea :rolleyes:

if someone can give an "average" wattage to aim for then i'll be happy :) Its mainly for photgraphing my tank, which will already have 108 watts over it.

Thanks.

You don'tneed a 110 volt one like this (unless you've got a transformer near your tank). Theses are available in 240 volts. Lamp wattage depends on your camera's abilities, so up to you. You could buy the unit and a smaller watt lamp!

That said 500 watts is a bit overkill, generally speaking, unless you've got an enormous tank and want to light it from a distance for full tank shots!

Simon D said:
You don'tneed a 110 volt one like this (unless you've got a transformer near your tank). Theses are available in 240 volts. Lamp wattage depends on your camera's abilities, so up to you. You could buy the unit and a smaller watt lamp!

That said 500 watts is a bit overkill, generally speaking, unless you've got an enormous tank and want to light it from a distance for full tank shots!

it wasnt that specific model, just an example as it was the first i came too :rolleyes:

camera isnt that good, do you think an extra 100w would be sufficient?

Be careful with those lamps Aaron,they get really hot. Also, for photography purposes, you will find they are very yellow and you will need to adjust your white balance accordingly.

Cheers.

aaronnorth said:
I think, spend the money on upgrading your camera. You seem happy enough with the tank lights, get a camera that will do this setup justice.

Simon D said:
aaronnorth said:
I think, spend the money on upgrading your camera. You seem happy enough with the tank lights, get a camera that will do this setup justice.

it is an option, that is still in the back of my mind. Nikon D40's are dead cheap now, even brand new.

Graeme Edwards said:
Be careful with those lamps Aaron,they get really hot.

Indeed they do....

3471623536_2b1b4a1c29.jpg

Considering I've now damaged 2 tanks, I'm thinking it would be cheaper to get myself a DSLR :D

Back