• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting rid of BBA

Aeropars

Hello Guys!

Its been a while since I've been on here and as such I've had a pretty major infestation of BBA in my 180L

I understand the reasons why its occured and am working to correct these problems but I dont know how to rid of the existing algae.

I dont wish to use excel as I have shrimp and i cant be doing with the extra cost so I would prefer more organic methods. I've read SAE's will eat it but i'm not sure if thats true and as I have so much, I dont know if they will devour the lot. I've removed some of it but it keep scoming back in the same spot.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Aeropars said:
Does anyone have any ideas?

I do :)

I use inverts. Specifically: Any neritina snails, Caridina Graciliostris and mini ramshorns.

Nerites eat the most, but 'eat in a straight line' so will not really clear an entire area for you.
The red nose shrimp only eat smaller amounts, but will graze over an entire area. Likewise with ramshorns, but watch out for the usual snail issues of exploding populations with the ramshorns. A combination of these inverts works well.

I've heard variable reports on SAE's. IME they are the number one BBA eating machines. But, also IME, they also like devouring moss. Also heard reports they eat shrimplets.

Some months back i had a problem with BBA.
Bought 4 SAe that were about 1 inch long.
Within 48 hours they had consumed a large amount of BBA, and continued to do so, at the same time they were seen to nibble the christmas moss, but being a quick grower, was not a real issue.
Fortunately i got to grips with my CO2 distribution, and the new BBA stopped appearing.
Over time as the SAE grew to roughly 4ins they were were seen to chase cherry shrimps, and c. sterbai, and most other tank occupants. To the extent my 10 sterbai stayed hidden. I decided to pass them onto a colleague who wanted them in the end.
My sterbai were out on show within 24 hours, and all the tank occupants seemed happier, and young cherries are starting to appear again.
The only downside, so is the BBA.
Despite the few problems i would certainly use them again.

Back