• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Getting There?

SteveW

Seedling
Hi Guys

After registering on the forum a couple of weeks ago I think I have read through nearly every thread on here, and I would just like to say that after starting to research for my first planted tank this forum has been second to none, its dispels the myths and tells you exactly how it is, and what you need to know. When your first setting up that's exactly what you need to here. So I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who contributes to this forum... :D

So after weeks of reading now the questions start ;)

So the setup so far:

the tank is 48/15/15 175ltr
Substrate, 3x 9ltr bags of ADA Amazonia
Filters,2x Fluval 205 filters with spray bars
Lighting, 2x 54W T5 with reflectors
Hydor 300w external heater
Will be dosing EI from the start
CO2 will be FE, still shopping for all the bits
Plants, critters and hardscape are still a work in progress.

Right so now I have a few questions mostly concerning the filters, flow and CO2.

Now I realise that the two 205's are not really ideal (but I had one already surplus to requirements form another tank and another was a freebie, also space is an issue). They will be more than adequate for actual filtration but inadequate to get the necessary flow when the tank has grown in, so i realise that one or two Koralia's may be necessary to get the CO2 around a tank this size.

The filters are going to be setup with one intake in each rear corner of the tank with spraybars attached to the rear of the tank on the opposing side, is that the best way to go ? One of the filters will have the heater attached the other... well that leads to the next question, external reactor, internal reactor or diffuser or two diffusers? From what I have read so far it seems that the majority of problems people have when setting up a new tank are down to CO2 quantities and circulation, and poor flow and adding the external heater and possibly a reactor to my outflow is going to further reduce the flow from the two filters. So I really want to try and nail it from the off to save the pain at a later date.

Would a 205 even provide enough flow to run an external reactor?

My next question concerns the Koralia's, would it be better to go with say two nano's or 1,s or go for a single Koralia 2, flow rates etc are one thing but what sort of range do they have? Is a single Koralia going to be able to push CO2 a full 48inch's to the other end of the tank?

Any thought would be most welcome.

Cheers in advance
Steve

Hi Steve.

I think you're right. I think you'll struggle with just those filters. If memory serves, the 205 is rated at something like 690LPH (without media, as with most filters). I run 2 Tetratex EX1200's on a 90cm/150litre tank and have about enough flow (still needs some work with filter outlets etc).

I've had 204's and a 205 and found them not great, when compared to other filters but OK. I don't like the design with the sponge down one side and media baskets up the other. I prefered the layered aproach :) Still, if money is an issue, then they should suffice with some help from some powerheads.

I would replace the ribbed hose with silicone tube. I've done this several times with both of my previous 204's. It should help the flow a tiny amount, but help when trying to fit inline heaters and such. It also makes it easier to fit any lily pipes if you choose to go this route. You will obviously need to replace the inlets/outlets with something like Eheim installation kits, or Tetratec fittings designed for silicone hose.

If you're using spraybars, I would have them lined up on the horizontal, centred if possible, with the inlets in each rear corner. You could have 2 koralia pumps, one in each corner, to help with circulation. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise better on this though :)

Cheers Steve,

Replacing the hoses does seem like a good idea, if it will increase the flow a bit, but the pumps are going to be nessasary whatever I do. Is it really going to be a problem fixing the heater to the 205's tubing? The 205's tubing is 14.5mm, the guys in the shop said it would be fine.

It's a screw type fitting like on normal silicone style connectors on eheims/tetratecs/others. It might fit, using the rubber end pieces like you would do onto the tap connector on the filter. You're looking to use a Hydor ETH300 so that's 16mm connectors. It's worth a try! If not, it's a case of £30 on some hose and an outlet/inlet I guess.

SteveW said:
My next question concerns the Koralia's, would it be better to go with say two nano's or 1,s or go for a single Koralia 2, flow rates etc are one thing but what sort of range do they have? Is a single Koralia going to be able to push CO2 a full 48inch's to the other end of the tank?

Dont buy the nano koralia! I did, thinking that near 1000l/hr would be grand, but it really only gets about halfway along the front of my 180l. I eventually removed it. The guys here have reported much better results with the Koralia 1 and 2s, or theres cheap koralia rip-offs on ebay at 3000l/hr for good money.

For flow... its all trial and error. To be honest I'm still struggling to get it right, but what you suggest sounds like a good place to start.

Back