Giant duckweed - Spirodella polyrhyza

andusbeckus

I’m looking for a floating plant and came across a large version but can’t find any for sale?
Has anyone had any or have any more info on it?

andusbeckus

Hi all, It likes hard water with high conductivity and nutrients. I might still have a little left, but I don't have any suitable tanks for it.

cheers Darrel
Where did you get it from originally? It’s strange I can’t find any at all online in the uk.

dw1305

Expert
Hi all,
Where did you get it from originally?
PYO unfortunately. They were plants that I picked up when I was on field work. I'll see if I can perk up the bit I've still got.

It came from one of the <"ponds in Bristol">, which I surveyed in the summer. The last place I saw it before that was at the <"Steart Marshes project">. It was really common there in some of the rhynes, which are freshwater but high conductivity and nutrient status. It isn't a very common plant.

cheers Darrel

mort

Is this the only species with the red underside here in the uk? If it is we have it here in the broads. I had some in my pond but it dissappeared after growing strongly for a short while.

If you can't get any then bump this when the weather warms up and I'll see if I can find some for you.

Parablennius

I keep Frogbit and Ceratopteris as floaters and I've found that when they get too dense they actually "retain" surface bio-film. Normally my surface water skims off over a weir into the filter but dense growth can prevent this. HTH.
Cheers