• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Giant Vallisneria planting advice

EA James

Evening all,
I’ve got some giant vallis being delivered tomorrow, just wondered if there were any tips or advice can be offered before planting??
They’re going in sand and I’ve got some tropica root capsules ready
Any help, if any, would be great
Cheers, James

Nothing special, you want the roots in the substrate, but don't bury the bottom of the leaves.

I’ve always planted Vallisneria and Eleocharis deep without issue, most stems as well

Eleocharis runners grow under the substrate, vallis runners grow above with the base of the leaf starting at the surface (or a bit above as the plants get older), most stem plants will grow roots from the nodes so burying them encourages more root growth. I try an mimic whatever the plant does left to it's own devices. I don't see any benefit to burying it any deeper than necessary to hold it in place - it won't root more and the runners will have to grow up and out to multiply. It's pretty tough though, it will probably grow happily however you do to it :lol:

Space plants not too close together. Avoid Glut /liquid carbon supplements at high doses initially.IMHO

I don’t grow Vallisneria anymore (though I’d love to get some Tropica V nana) - it’s just too invasive :wideyed:

While it propagated via above surface runners, it also travelled hidden beneath the substrate, suddenly appearing at considerable distance from the Vallisneria “zone”

Back