• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Giesemann Aquablue for plants?

TLH

Just messing with my lights now I've started setting up the new tank. I have a D&D Razor and it came with Aquablues in it. I was reading on their site that the Aquablue can be combined with Aqua Flora tubes for freshwater, tropical fish and planted aquaria. I just wondered if anyone uses the Aquablue in a mix like this and what results you get?

I did get a Midday and a Aquaflora to use but I'm now considering the combos.

Hi,
If by "results" you mean how well will your plants grow then the answer will be "the results will be the same as if you used any other bulb of similar wattage and size". There will be more variation in your plant growth as a result of all the other things you do than you're ever likely to see just because of this brand, model or color which will have minimal impact. Any bulb will grow plants about as well so one should focus more on the aesthetic appeal than any thing else.

If by "results" you mean how will it look then that's a more difficult question to answer since it's too pricey a bulb for most and looks are a personal thing. You might want to have a look at Cheap HO T5 fluorescent tubes - Update with photos to see various color combination and less costly alternatives to these "designer" bulbs which remind me a lot of "designer" water.

Cheers,

I'd looked at that thread already, very informative. I'd looked at ordering at Lampspecs but for the couple of bulbs I needed it would have cost me more with delivery and their small order charge than I paid for the 2 Geisemanns that I got at Aquatics Online. I actually thought they were pretty good value compared to the other brands on there. I'd have had to order £40's worth of bulbs from Lampspecs to make it worth it. Maybe I'll do that next time if I can get a few friends to buy stuff at the same time.

The Razor was a bargain though at £50 from ebay. The bulbs in it are Aquablue, a "60:40 combination of 6000K and 22000K (approx) phosphor blend" and are really bright when above the tank. I'll have to try the others and take photos and see which I like best but I think 2 Aquablue is too much for me.

Oh, OK, well it sounds like you got a good deal. I typically use banks of eight individual PC bulbs so the Lampspecs is worth it for me. Is it the brightness of the Aquablue you dislike or just the color? Those Kelvin numbers are also propagandist so they really don't tell you much...

Cheers,

Back