• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glass Catfish Experience

Courtneybst

Hey everyone,

I'm interested to know if anyone has experience keeping glass catfish, particularly Kryptopterus Minor.

I see a lot of basic care information online but very little personal experiences. I especially like to hear from UKAPS members, and that's normally what I search for first!

Amongst many others they've been on my wishlist almost since I first started fishkeeping.

I have K. vitreolus which is what most aquarium shops will be selling, I think the naming of this species as k. minor has been a long standing argument and not sure if it ever got resolved.

Anyway i have four of these and think they make an excellent addition to my tank, I've never seen any aggressive behaviour from them in the 12 months i've had them, amongst other inhabitants in the tank they live with Rams, Rainbow fish, Honey gourami, Guppies and Sparkling gourami.

Although shy when I first got them they now spend there day resting in the top third of the tank, treading water in quite strong flow. Its at dusk when they become more active and explore the full area of the tank.

Tank is fairly well planted, ph around 7.5 for the last 10 months, now goes down to 6.5 with co2 addition (I've noticed no change in behaviour since adding co2). Kh around 2, gh 3 poss 4, so quite soft water. Tds 170 ~ 250. Temp 25.5c.

Not sure what else to add other than picture.
20210328_175827.jpg

We used to keep these when I was a kid and they always lived a long time but weren't the most outgoing fish. I think it's because we were in the sweetshop phase and only had a couple of these, two of those etc etc. I think they benefit from being kept in a decent sized group and remember a lfs that had about 50 in a 8-10ft planted tank where they formed an impressive group.

I always thought if I had space and a big enough tank that I'd like to try a dozen or so again but haven't got there yet and probably won't.

I had debauwi glass cats once and they were in a group of about a dozen, they were fantastic but I lost them all after a water change for some reason. They were the only thing in the tank that was affected and I later found they are very sensitive but I've not had any issues with the species you are wanting and they were a staple in the lfs when I was there because they did well for people.

I have K. vitreolus which is what most aquarium shops will be selling, I think the naming of this species as k. minor has been a long standing argument and not sure if it ever got resolved.

Anyway i have four of these and think they make an excellent addition to my tank, I've never seen any aggressive behaviour from them in the 12 months i've had them, amongst other inhabitants in the tank they live with Rams, Rainbow fish, Honey gourami, Guppies and Sparkling gourami.

Although shy when I first got them they now spend there day resting in the top third of the tank, treading water in quite strong flow. Its at dusk when they become more active and explore the full area of the tank.

Tank is fairly well planted, ph around 7.5 for the last 10 months, now goes down to 6.5 with co2 addition (I've noticed no change in behaviour since adding co2). Kh around 2, gh 3 poss 4, so quite soft water. Tds 170 ~ 250. Temp 25.5c.

Not sure what else to add other than picture.
View attachment 173022
Amazing! Thank you.

I think I can provide everything you have in terms of water parameters except the soft water 🙃 my TDS is about 360 from the tap and it's pretty much the same by the end of the week in the tank.

Do you think they're out of the question?

We used to keep these when I was a kid and they always lived a long time but weren't the most outgoing fish. I think it's because we were in the sweetshop phase and only had a couple of these, two of those etc etc. I think they benefit from being kept in a decent sized group and remember a lfs that had about 50 in a 8-10ft planted tank where they formed an impressive group.

I always thought if I had space and a big enough tank that I'd like to try a dozen or so again but haven't got there yet and probably won't.

I had debauwi glass cats once and they were in a group of about a dozen, they were fantastic but I lost them all after a water change for some reason. They were the only thing in the tank that was affected and I later found they are very sensitive but I've not had any issues with the species you are wanting and they were a staple in the lfs when I was there because they did well for people.
I really like the look of the Debauwi cats too! Not as much as the other 2 but they're definitely cool looking. I'm just cursed with hard water.

Do you think they're out of the question?
I don't think they're out of the question but can't honestly say if they'd thrive in hard water or not.

When I first got my tank i had a huge lump of rock in it (think it was texas holey rock) and the tds would be up to 280+ before water change day, the glass cats seemed to thrive in that environment.

I'd look at your lfs and if they seem to be regularly stocked then its probably a sign they can manage in similar water to your own.

They are cool looking ghostly fish, not colorful fish because they are colorless and transparent. I have never had them before, and am afraid they will be bullied by my cichlid. Do they move slowly and school consistently.

I don't think they're out of the question but can't honestly say if they'd thrive in hard water or not.

When I first got my tank i had a huge lump of rock in it (think it was texas holey rock) and the tds would be up to 280+ before water change day, the glass cats seemed to thrive in that environment.

I'd look at your lfs and if they seem to be regularly stocked then its probably a sign they can manage in similar water to your own.
That's slightly reassuring! I'm going to a fish shop tomorrow and was planning to ask them what the parameters were in their store tank. A lot of fish seem to be acclimated to similar water to your own if it's relatively close by. Unless they specifically use an RO system.

I'll see what they've got! Thanks for the help though.

We have very hard water here in norwich. I never tested in those days but it varies from 380-400ppm plus normally now. It didn't seem to put them off.

I rescued a black ghost knifefish from someone who had a two foot tank. It lived for 20 years and grew to 16". It was a couple of years old when I took it in so I don't know if it had been stunted, even slightly, but it got to a decent size, if not it's potential. There is something about the way they reverse swim that's just unique. It was a firm favourite, even if it was a bit scary when it yawned.

We have very hard water here in norwich. I never tested in those days but it varies from 380-400ppm plus normally now. It didn't seem to put them off.

I rescued a black ghost knifefish from someone who had a two foot tank. It lived for 20 years and grew to 16". It was a couple of years old when I took it in so I don't know if it had been stunted, even slightly, but it got to a decent size, if not it's potential. There is something about the way they reverse swim that's just unique. It was a firm favourite, even if it was a bit scary when it yawned.
They are truly awesome fish, and the one I kept got more and more comfortable with me over time. It went from hiding all the time to constantly being up front. It also didn't bother any fish in the scape.

I hope when I settle down to keep one long term.

Back