• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glass lily outlet shape and dimensions help please

Andrew Butler

Hi all,
I'm looking for some information from anyone with the different sized/shapes of glass lily outlets please.

With me moving over to an AIO (All In One) aquarium system I will have an outlet position but outlet sizes and shapes are limited so want to try and do something about that.
*Correct me if I'm wrong but the theory is that the water entering the larger outlet size/shape of the lily pipes at a certain angle also acts to stop the flow having such a direct jet of water?*
I'm hopefully going to get one 3D printed to attach to my bulkhead and allow me to control a more relaxed and 'directable' flow so would sit on a swivel or ball shaped socket, similar to LocLine.
To get something printed I'd like to see some photos or even videos with some measurements so I hopefully can get someone to turn this into a printed plastic version - as much information as possible please including the distance from rim to entry, angles etc would be great.

I hope this makes sense and as ever constructive input and suggestions are always welcome.

Andrew

Hi,

Forgive me quoting, but thought one of the keynotes of your tank was to make the equipment as visually unobtrusive as possible ?

While most Lily pipes are glass and so as smooth and clear as possible, though not a 3D printer user, seems using a clear filament will result in a rather obscure end result as this link shows.

Would also suspect all the tiny ridges that would be present on such a large curved shape would be a magnet for the algae and difficult to clean ?

https://rigid.ink/blogs/news/how-to-print-clear-filament-more-clearly

Forgive me quoting, but thought one of the keynotes of your tank was to make the equipment as visually unobtrusive as possible ?
That's correct; unfortunately I don't know of a way to be able to direct flow whilst also stopping it having such a direct jet like action without adding something.
I've thought a few things over and think adding something I can adjust and change is the most sensible solution.
It's all very well having nothing visible but I think there's a balance to be struck when it comes to simply jetting sand/soil around and leaving dead spots over adding something that will hopefully at least help with these issues.
I'm open to ideas, if you can give me some? ;)
While most Lily pipes are glass and so as smooth and clear as possible, though not a 3D printer user, seems using a clear filament will result in a rather obscure end result as this link shows.

Would also suspect all the tiny ridges that would be present on such a large curved shape would be a magnet for the algae and difficult to clean ?
I never said it was going to be clear; I plan for it to be black, the same as the partition and bulkhead it will sit against. :cool:
By doing it in black this gives me a few more options on material.
If you have a chat with someone who knows a bit more about 3D printing I'm sure they will explain to you about layers and how you can control the size of them, whilst it's never going to be smooth as glass it will be simple to remove and clean which is something else that matches the minimal effort, minimal visuals equals maximum reward plan - I want an aquarium to look at and enjoy, not spend hours maintaining if I don't need to. :)
(if I ever achieve it, that is)
@Andrew Butler, what is an AIO system, I am curious? 🧐
AIO stands for All In One - it simply means that all the filtration is included within the aquarium. Not so big in the UK, but elsewhere in the world it's used more widely.
Below is a drawing from @Aquariums4life who built mine for me. Essentially the water enters the top through the slots, travels through some foam, media or whatever else you like and the last chamber is used to mainly include the return pump but I've also got my heater in there, Bazooka CO2 diffuser and a whole host of other things.
I just wanted to do away with all the pipes and external filter along with things like heaters and CO2 either inline or visible and I think this offers me an easier to maintain system in my opinion. Not for everyone, I know but I think it fits my needs and desires.

Any other questions let me know. :)
Andrew

new design 2.jpg

Back