• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glassware holes

I've tried with a glass file but I was too heavy handed and cracked it, It's entirely possible but as with all things delicate it's time consuming and you need to take your time and be careful.

Dremmels are far too temperamental in my experience, they spin too fast and can cause shattering. You'd need to have it perfectly still too. You could try but I'd want to do a test run on a pint glass or something similar in thickness.

I thought I posted earlier but it seems to have disappeared!!! Aherm.

I was thinking the other day over a recent articles' claims that the small slits reduce flow.

I got to thinking why? If the area of the openings are equal to or greater than the area of the inside diameter of the tube. Why would that reduce flow?

I thought to myself surely it would not reduce flow. One for the mathemeticians.

However all glass tubing no matter how many slits will reduceflow because thir internal diameter is much thinner than the hose / pipe combo they replace from what I have seen. This is where the restriction comes into play me thinks.

AC

SuperColey1 said:
However all glass tubing no matter how many slits will reduceflow because thir internal diameter is much thinner than the hose / pipe combo they replace from what I have seen. This is where the restriction comes into play me thinks.

AC

I think you hit the proverbial nail on the head there Andy :)

I was just thinking maybe heating the glass slits with a flame (hot flame!) and either twisting or opening them some how might work but again, one for the experienced DIY'ers I reckon!

Why dont you take glass pipes to the local glazier to see if they can open the slits more, rather than doing a diy job.

Regards
Paul.

heating the glass will be fine but unless you carry out an Annealing process it will shatter as it cools! check out
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(glass)
i would warm the pipe to reduce internal stresses and use a dremal and gentley cut out the slits!

if the surface area of the slits is equal to the cross sectional area of the pipe they can still slow the flow through the pipework by creating a vortex behind the slit and slowing the flow but also it will effect the fluid flow through a pipe check out the Laminar versus turbulent flow section of this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluid_dynamics

Matt

Back