• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Glosso - or maybe not?

Dan Crawford

Founder
UKAPS Team
Hi everyone, i've just received my order from plants alive for my new tank. I ordered some glosso and this is what i got, any ideas?
IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

looks more like baby tear Micranthemum umbrosum to me. Just planted some yesterday. Looks about the right size and right leave shapes

Let's have a closeup of the leaves please

James

EDIT: It could be Micranthemum umbrosum. In the photo it looks like at each node there is only one leaf. But then again on some nodes it looks like 2 leaves.

I am 100% sure it is Micranthemum umbrosum. I have grown plenty of this stuff lately, and if it is of a similar quality to Tropica, you should get superb results with it.

Dave.

thanks guys, by show of hands i'm going for umbrosum. What should i expect from this plant then? what kind of position would it take?

Thanks everyone.

Mine grew to 18in in a high light EI tank with inert substrate. Plant denser than normal, because it is a thin stemmed plant, and prune regularly once it has had a good chance to grow first of all. MU is a very fast grower IME.

Here is mine in the background:

Sunsetpb.jpg

Dave.

thanks mate, i'm not sure if it's gonna fit into the scape so someone may be receiving some at Sam's. ;) thanks for all your help guys.

Dave Spencer said:
Mine grew to 18in in a high light EI tank with inert substrate. Plant denser than normal, because it is a thin stemmed plant, and prune regularly once it has had a good chance to grow first of all. MU is a very fast grower IME.

Here is mine in the background:

Dave.

thats spectacular Dave, amazing

You`ll regret giving it away Dan. It is a great looking stem plant. Even Mr Amano agrees with me. :lol:

Thanks for the comments Guys. Matt, do you remember me asking you on the Barr Report for some Riccia? This was the scape I had in mind. Using Riccia on the odd piece of slate for the foreground wasn`t for me, I wanted it to be the main feature. This tank did look pretty amazing of an evening when the only light on was at the back. Unfortunately, it is now on the run down, ready to be moved to a friend`s house, with a total rescape.

Stats are:
120l Juwel Lido.
1.7WPG 3 hours, 3.4WPG 4 hours, 1.7WPG 3 hours. Interpet T5
EI ferts.
Inert substrate.
Pressurised CO2 at 30ppm.

Plants are:
Riccia Fluitans.
Micranthemum umbrosum.
Hemianthus micranthemoides (which has really grown since the photo).
Eleocharis acicularis.

Cheers, Dave.

Hi Dave,
That was a stunning scape :!: What a shame it's being pulled down. That really blew me away. That settles it. You're coming over to re-scape my tank. No doubt. :D

I agree with you about the MU - Dan you can always fine a place for it. It's not invasive at all, very civilized, and if it grows too tall, well that's why we have shears...

Cheers,

I gave it to Graeme mate, i'll ask him.
I had a real bad experience with PA over this and to put it bluntly i doubt i'll be buying from them again.

Back